Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedals for Tubemeister 36

Hiya guys,

Just purchased myself a new amp! Bought a H & K Tubemeister 36 combo and really enjoying it so far.

I’m looking to get a couple of pedals to use with it, mainly a compressor, delay and overdrive/distortion. However I’ve heard in some threads that it doesn’t take pedals too well? Does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations?

I’m using it with a hot rodded schecter omen extreme, and I’m not really going for one particular sound, trying to keep it as versatile as possible, all the way from nice cleans to hard rock/metal.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Pedals for Tubemeister 36

Any amp will take pedals well if the combination makes the music you want to make - be careful of internet folklore.

Help us out by telling us what music you want to make with the H&K, what tones you enjoy, what guitars you’re planning on playing through it, etc. you’ll get much better help that way rather than everyone listing their favorite pedal of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
      Any amp will take pedals well if the combination makes the music you want to make - be careful of internet folklore.

Help us out by telling us what music you want to make with the H&K, what tones you enjoy, what guitars you’re planning on playing through it, etc. you’ll get much better help that way rather than everyone listing their favorite pedal of the week.

It’ll just be the schecter I mentioned above I’m playing through it. I think I’ve found my delay and compressor so it’s just the overdrive I’m unsure about.

Ideally I’d like it to be as versatile as possible - but mainly ranging from sort of a 80’s classic rock to metallica level high gain thrashness. However the main thing is it sounds awesome! Haha

I’ve looked about a fair bit and three that seem to be highly rated are the tube screamer, OCD and plimsoul? I know these aren’t necessarily high gain pedals that they might work as a decent boost?

Comment

All three of those are well regarded for good reason. I don’t know the TubeMeister amps personally, so can’t answer directly, however I have all three of the pedals you mention. Here’s my thoughts:

1) Tube Screamer - if you’re running the amp in already compressing territory, the TS will boost it harder (Much classic metal was made by hitting the front end of an already screaming Marshall). Personally, I’m not a fan of a TS into a cleaner preamp as the mid-hump sticks out a little too much.

2) OCD - this is the one pedal that I believe every electric guitarist should have in their stable - it can drive a dirty preamp AND it can be very dirty into a clean preamp - the two EQ options (High Peak/Low peak toggle) allow it to be tailored to the amp in question. It’d be a great starting point for your OD journey (and it is a journey!)

3) Plimsoul - funny enough, I was recording a guitar part earlier today using mine! To my ears, the PS is darker than the OCD, due to the first gain stage and it’s often too dark with humbuckers (even low gain humbuckers) - I don’t find I can dial in the PS to all amps and certainly not as easily as the OCD. That said, when it’s the right tool for he job, it’s hard to beat.

Bottom line - any of these pedals will be a great jumping off point - and you can’t really go wrong. BUT, I would put the OCD first on the list and be pretty confident you could buy it without trying it first, whereas both the TS and PS, I’d recommend trying before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          All three of those are well regarded for good reason. I don’t know the TubeMeister amps personally, so can’t answer directly, however I have all three of the pedals you mention. Here’s my thoughts:

1) Tube Screamer - if you’re running the amp in already compressing territory, the TS will boost it harder (Much classic metal was made by hitting the front end of an already screaming Marshall). Personally, I’m not a fan of a TS into a cleaner preamp as the mid-hump sticks out a little too much.

2) OCD - this is the one pedal that I believe every electric guitarist should have in their stable - it can drive a dirty preamp AND it can be very dirty into a clean preamp - the two EQ options (High Peak/Low peak toggle) allow it to be tailored to the amp in question. It’d be a great starting point for your OD journey (and it is a journey!)

3) Plimsoul - funny enough, I was recording a guitar part earlier today using mine! To my ears, the PS is darker than the OCD, due to the first gain stage and it’s often too dark with humbuckers (even low gain humbuckers) - I don’t find I can dial in the PS to all amps and certainly not as easily as the OCD. That said, when it’s the right tool for he job, it’s hard to beat.

Bottom line - any of these pedals will be a great jumping off point - and you can’t really go wrong. BUT, I would put the OCD first on the list and be pretty confident you could buy it without trying it first, whereas both the TS and PS, I’d recommend trying before you buy.

Thanks! I’ll probably try the OCD then.

As an aside, do you have any experience with the EHX Soul Food?

Comment

Not with the Soul Food directly, but it’s a Klone Centaur clone. From comparison vids, it’s close to the Klone but darker (as I recall). I have a Build Your Own Clone Silver Pony, which is a pretty faithful Klone. It’s a wonderful pedal and so good as a (nearly) always on Boost/break-up

Now, the interesting thing is that my main board has the Silver Pony into OCD and I stack them a LOT to get different levels of gain. They pair up really well.

I did go and watch a demo of the TubeMeister. It sounds like the clean channel would take pedals well, though the dirt channels may not be as accepting as tube dirt (as I understand it, the dirt is solid state).

If that’s the case, then you’d want more gain than is on tap in a Klone to drive your clean channel - I’d definitely stick with the OCD first.

Comment

Working...
            X