banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Optional King Of Tone Mods Did You Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Optional King Of Tone Mods Did You Choose?

I recently put myself on the KOT waitlist and was wondering what mods y'all chose for when the big day came. From their website:

Optional HIGHER GAIN $10 per side
    Optional external mode toggle switch for red side $50
    Optional 4 jack version $50
    Optional second output jack, not possible with 4-jack option $10
    Optional second (output) Power Jack $15
    Optional buffer for buffered bypass (no battery room) $45

I was thinking about adding MOAR GAINZ to the right side and adding an external toggle switch. Is the 4 jack version worth it?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: What Optional King Of Tone Mods Did You Choose?

I’ve got the high gain red side, it’s there if you need it.

I got back on the list to get a 4-Jack version to use with my switcher. I’ll probably do the high gain red again.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Do you ever find yourself impeded by the lack of the external switch?
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Do you ever find yourself impeded by the lack of the external switch?
        No, it’s been set and forget for a long time. Red as OD and Yellow as boost.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What did you think about the high gain mode?

Comment

Don't worry, you have 18 months to figure it out [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went with the high gain red side as well. I am also back on the list for a second pedal. Gotta have a second one for my smaller flight board!
              Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
              It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I'm thinking now about just getting high gain on the red side, 4 jacks, and the internal buffer. Now for a more important question, do the t-shirts run large or small?

Comment

I don't have my KOT yet. I'm probably about 12 months out from my name coming up. But I've had a clone built and based on the result there, I'd get High gain red, 4 jack.

Each side of the stock pedal is relatively low gain by itself and the extra gain is not a lot, but just enough to make a difference if you're going for a hard rock crunch. Then you can still use the the other side as a solo boost.

The 4 jack option lets you put the pedal in a switcher and be able to engage each side as part of different presets. If it's wired the way my clone is, you can also change the order of the circuits by inserting a jumper cable from the yellow side output to the red side input. Unless you really want extra gain on tap, this makes putting High Gain on both sides unnecessary. OR, you can insert other pedals between the 2 sides of the KOT.

I'd probably also want the external red side switch because I hate having to go inside a pedal to make changes.

Although, I'm honestly thinking about just getting a pair of POT's and saying forget the KOT.

Comment

Does anyone have any opinions on the distortion setting of the KOT? I see plenty of clips on the boost and OD functions, but nothing well made about the distortion function.

Comment

I see on Reverb that plenty of people have asked for custom color options. Has anyone here seen any good ones? I prefer the standard colors myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Does anyone have any opinions on the distortion setting of the KOT? I see plenty of clips on the boost and OD functions, but nothing well made about the distortion function.
                        It's basically the same but I think it's Asymetrical clipping instead of Symetrical. Not much more gain but a grittier texture. Similar to comparing a TS9 and a Boss SD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                          It's basically the same but I think it's Asymetrical clipping instead of Symetrical. Not much more gain but a grittier texture. Similar to comparing a TS9 and a Boss SD-1.
                          No it’s not. The OD puts the Diodes in the loop of the OpAmp (TS9 style) the distortion mode puts them straight to ground (DS-1, Dist+ style). You can technically have both at the same time but the distortion clipping overrides the soft OD clipping.

You don’t hear about it so much because the magic of the KOT is taking the core sound of your amp and adding more breakup. The Boost and OD modes both do this really well. The distortion is nice, but not really the main use of the pedal by most people.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                            Not much more gain but a grittier texture.
                            I found a clip about the distortion after I posted that and I seem to find the same results. I can see why most people get extra gain on the red side.

Comment

In my clone, I also had a second set of diodes added to each side. Red LED's on the high gain side and the stock diodes of the Bluesbreaker Mk I on the regular side. The differences were subtle but there is a slight change in character. The LED's had the most noticeable difference, especially when in Distortion mode. Again it was more of a texture thing. The LED's seemed more touch responsive but also were less smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X