Fuzz pedal with sustain for centuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz pedal with sustain for centuries

Hi. I’m looking for a fuzz pedal with very very long sustain. It will be used with Humbuckers, so it should not turn into mush. Preferably, it shuould have some distortion like character. Price is not really an issue, but, as far as I’m concerned, fuzz pedals are a relatively simple circuits, and some of them are very dear. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rabelais; 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM.

Re: Fuzz pedal with sustain for centuries

Most Muffs should do it, particularly if you push them with an OD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Big Muff Pi.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

There are three current production Big Muff Pi pedals: standard (full size, little and nano, I suppose they sound the same), green Russian RI, and the Orange op amp RI. Any experience with the green and the Orange ones?.

Comment

Ok, this is a bit of a rabbit hole but for sustain you may be better off with a Triangle muff based pedal which is out of production. There are builders out there that build clones or similar pedals like the stomp underfoot tri-muff, basic audio tri-ram, or wren and cuff tri-pie. Chicago Stompworks has a cheap clone as well. In the same line you should also check the thorpy fx fallout cloud since you said budget is not an issue. I haven’t played one but the demos are great and it’s highly regarded. The JHS muffuletta gives you many flavors.

Re the EHX you mentioned - The orange op amp is the least traditional muff sounding, the Pi is a bit harsh imho but it should work and so should the green Russian if you push it with an OD.

Here’s an overview video about Muffs

Comment

best way to get long sustain is to have more volume. I love my stomp under foot civil war fuzz. it's more mid focused and works well with humbuckers. some others just sound brash and overloaded with humbuckers, they seem to lose their musicality to me

Comment

Monkey Fist. Question is, are you ok with the suboctaves and ring mod type overtones and other crazy random artifacts that come out depending on how your pick attack, pedal and guitar settings?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	5805982

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                Monkey Fist. Question is, are you ok with the suboctaves and ring mod type overtones and other crazy random artifacts that come out depending on how your pick attack, pedal and guitar settings?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88521[/ATTACH]
                Anything would be cool (dying battery effect, gated fuzz, octaves, modulation and any other strange sounds), as long as I have the possibility of strumming a chord and let it sing (almost) forever.

Comment

Check my thread, NPD Finally. I put a couple of clips up of it. It's a great sounding silicon fuzz.

In the lower strings at the lower frets, there are suboctaves if you back off the volume a bit and use a lighter touch. Picking over the neck pickup tends to bring thus out more too.

Middle of the neck is where the ring mod stuff seems to happen and above the 12th fret there is almost an upper octave thing going on although I haven't quite figured out how to make these stand out like the suboctaves. It's definitely got that Jimmy Hendrix vibe going on because you can hear a bit if a whooshing modulated sound on sustained notes.

Chords with Higher fuzz levels are almost synth-like. Lower gain settings, it's like a really thick sounding overdrive. It's really responsive to volume control adjustments on the guitar too.

Comment

Hey, I have a question:

In the video they compare the original muff and OP amp one: The OP amp has the classic big box Muff Pi looks. Original is plain metal.

How are the reissues? OP amp one is orange, so is the big box red/black one confusingly aiming at the tone of originals instead of the 70's op amp one that looks the same?

How they compare?
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                      Check my thread, NPD Finally. I put a couple of clips up of it. It's a great sounding silicon fuzz.

In the lower strings at the lower frets, there are suboctaves if you back off the volume a bit and use a lighter touch. Picking over the neck pickup tends to bring thus out more too.

Middle of the neck is where the ring mod stuff seems to happen and above the 12th fret there is almost an upper octave thing going on although I haven't quite figured out how to make these stand out like the suboctaves. It's definitely got that Jimmy Hendrix vibe going on because you can hear a bit if a whooshing modulated sound on sustained notes.

Chords with Higher fuzz levels are almost synth-like. Lower gain settings, it's like a really thick sounding overdrive. It's really responsive to volume control adjustments on the guitar too.
                      Thanks. I’ll check it out (if I can find it). Nice SG!.
                      I’m also interested in EQD’s Acapulco Gold, Bellows and Erupter. The first one is a fuzzy distortion, the second is a fuzz driver and the third is 100% fuzz. Their webpage has samples of them and they seem to be great for Doom.
                      Last edited by Rabelais; 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post
                        Thanks. I’ll check it out (if I can find it). Nice SG!.
                        Thanks. My SG's are my favourite guitars.

The Monkey Fist cleans up better with my Strat, but I'm just more of an SG guy.

Comment

Fuzz pedal with sustain for centuries

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                          Hey, I have a question:

In the video they compare the original muff and OP amp one: The OP amp has the classic big box Muff Pi looks. Original is plain metal.

How are the reissues? OP amp one is orange, so is the big box red/black one confusingly aiming at the tone of originals instead of the 70's op amp one that looks the same?

How they compare?
                          The orange might be because they already have several with the red black scheme and this was in collaboration with the pumpkin’s corgan. I never owned one of the original OP Amp but IMHO it does a good job. The cork sniffing community is divided : https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...eview.1904512/

Comment

I probably asked it wrong way. It's not the OP amp one I was interested about but the original transistor one. Are the black/red reissues aimed to that tone or op amp version?

If they're not aimed at that original tone, what issue might be?
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

http://www.greencarrotpedals.co.uk/pumpkin_pi.php has the Op Amp and Russian pedals in one unit.

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/b...ls/muffuletta/ can be set to one of six different Muff styles.

Has anyone mentioned the Way Huge Pickle varieties and Conquistador fuzz?

Comment

Working...
                              X