Compressor for punk rock tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor for punk rock tone?

I have a mesa boogie DC2, which has enough gain, but it's not chuggy enough.
    I tried a Maxon OD808, but it's not doing the job, it just gets muddy and noisy. (gain at 0, volume at 50%).

So I'm wondering, would a compressor do the job? Since what I need is a more compressed tone and not more gain!

Thank you!

Re: Compressor for punk rock tone?

Some people use an overdrive for this (with the drive set low). Others use a compressor. But punk rock isn't really about a compressed tone (the Mesa's gain should be pretty compressed, anyway). But I have to ask, what kind of punk you talking about? I don't really think of 'chuggy' when I think of punk.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Punk is a broad church indeed - give us some reference tones - who are you thinking of sound like mostly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

A good example would be Rise Against. I feel like my amp has enough gain, but when I palm mute, it's tiny and not punchy at all.

Comment

That amp should have enough gain - how are you setting the Mids? If you’re scooping them, then that may be cutting the transient attack of your muted chords. Listening to Rise Against, I might suggest a Fulltone OCD or ProCo Rat in front of the amp as a light distortion (I consider the OCD a must have for the majority of rock guitarists) - set the EQ to push the mids a little (on the OCD, use HP mode).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, certainly make sure there are mids. No scooping at all.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What's the full signal path? Guitar to speakers?

Comment

If you haven't read the manual, definitely do so. The mid control on this series is a little weird, and the manual dies a better job of explaining it, and how the other controls interact, than I can. Also a clean boost set to max will probably get you there.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                X