banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best/most up-to-date (budget-friendly) floor amp modeling device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/most up-to-date (budget-friendly) floor amp modeling device?

So I know the Helix and Ax8 are kings of the hill right now, but what about lower-priced stuff?

I used to have a POD XT which sounded great at the time, but with so many advances, it started falling behind. Then I got a POD HD300 which was an improvement in the quality of the models, but it had less models, and I still felt the cabs were somewhat underwhelming.

So what's available today that gives the Ax8 and Helix a run for their money?

Thanks.

Re: Best/most up-to-date (budget-friendly) floor amp modeling device?

Honestly, not much.

You might look at some of the AmpliFire pedals, the Tech 21 Fly Rigs or their amp modeler pedals (Blonde, etc) and add a traditional pedalboard to those. Lower-end modelers, like the Zoom or even the Boss stuff isn't in the same galaxy.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There is the Boss GT-1000 but not much info about it yet, and at the same price as the Helix LT and Headrush, it has a lot of competition.

Comment

Mooer do something like that, amp modelling and IR loader. No idea how good it is.

Comment

For the "budget friendly" part, check out the Mooer GE200, or for a little more check out the Atomic Amplifire.

Can't speak to the sound/tone vs the Fractal or Helix, haven't used any of them, I still have a GT-100.

Comment

Line 6 Amplifi100FX, because everyone want the helix now you can snag the amplifi's for really cheap 2nd hand.
            It probably won't give the newer stuff a run for it's money but it's good enough, people also still use the M-line of pedals which run the same FX SW I believe. It's great when you run it through an amp or home stereo and its $600 cheaper than the 'latest' stuff which is better but not $600 better. IMO of course.

This is my masterplan when it comes to modeling or digital guitar stuff, as soon as the latest stuff comes out the generation before that drops in price so much that it becomes almost too good to pass up on it. In a few years I will get me a Helix for a steal, mark my words .
            Last edited by Nightburst; 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I see there's the Ampli Firebox. Anyone has any experience with that?

AFAIK, the Line6 Amplifi stuff is just the same old technology from the POD XT/X3/Farm. It's great and all, but it's like 15 years old now, lol.

The Mooer stuff looks interesting as well.

Comment

There's the Helix Lite.

Headrush is good too.

Kemper can but thats pricier than the ax8.

Atomic Amplifier stuff is an improvement over the hd500 & such.

Software sims are an option too.

On a side note, the Boss MS3 with three Joyo Amp sim pedals or one AmplifiBox pedal from atomic is an alternative too.

Comment

What about Fender Mustang Floorboard? Mustang models for Deluxe Reverb, Bassman and Twin are great.

Not so sure about British tones... and Mesa/Soldano type tones of it are just big question mark for me. (I guess that's what american 90's and/or Metal stands for?)

PS: To my experience Mustang needs decent cab though. Sims are not good.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

If you have a laptop...

1. USB audio interface (I recommend Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, becuase it has PAD, which is a must with hotter pickups)
                    2. DAW of choice (you can use Reaper for free forever, or be a good guy and buy a license for dirt cheap. Also there is always a DAW of some kind budnled with USB interface)
                    3. Helix Native (there is a 15 day trial connected with account, you can use it forever by creating new accounts, or the ARRRR! way (which I won't recommend and show how)
                    4. (optional) Keith McMillen Softstep 2 for controlling (or other MIDI controller)

That's the setup I use (minus the softstep) and highly recommend. As you can see the only cost for start is the interface and you get all of the Helix amps, effects and other stuff
                    Last edited by majewsky; 04-04-2018, 03:38 AM.
                    Gibson SG Standard with Seth Lover neck/bridge hybrid with A3 in neck & Brobucker with A3 in bridge
                    -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Helix Native -> Celestion IRs -> Yamaha HPH-MT8

Less is more

Comment

I think I saw a YouTube video of someone running their POD XT through the cab sims in a Mooer Radar, and it seemed like a pretty significant improvement in tone over that generation’s Line 6 can sims. That might be a cheap option for you. I have an HD500 and have been considering doing something similar.

Comment

Those mooer digital preamp pedals sound pretty cool. They have a multi-fx with the same tech and customisable IR cab sims.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                          Those mooer digital preamp pedals sound pretty cool. They have a multi-fx with the same tech and customisable IR cab sims.
                          The Mooer GE200 - http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709225660.html goes for around $299, probably the best modeling you can find in that price range unless you just want one amp sound, their mini preamp pedals are <$100 each but don't have any effects.

Comment

Working...
                          X