Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for a vocal processor.

I am not really a singer.

Having said that, I can sing/growl/yell/throat well enough to get the job done.

Anyhow, I've got a new metal band growing and I have been tasked the singer/lead player.

I am looking for input for a vocal processor with following needs:

1. Not a rack mount, I need a live stage pedal

2. Easy to use and compact. (Gotta fit on my guitar effects board.)

3. Decent delay and maybe a bit of distortion to get extra throaty.

I Have been researching the TC Helicon liveplay and maybe the boss ve20. Both of these harmonize and or autotune to the guitar.... I'm not sure yet if I'll be using that feature or not. I'd like to think I can sing in key without a processor. It it may help too?? Convince me one way or another??

I'm thinking keep it simple.

Mostly looking for a good delay at times, and maybe a touch of evil to the vocals.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Need advice for a vocal processor.

I've used (still have) a old TC voice create. I don't think they make that line anymore. Anyhoo...The TC stuff I've tried sounded wonderful but were difficult to use. Just not intuitive at all. Not what you want if you need to make a change under fire. Their foot switches (which look like the ones they've been using for a long time) are also not the sturdiest little buggers. I've seen them broken with less force than is good for a "stomp box." Boss wasn't making anything in this area when this froggy went 'a courtin' a vocal FX pedal...I would have almost certainly gotten a Boss product if they had been making one. Their stuff tends to be easy to use without having to RTFM and we all know their stuff can survive on the floor.

As for the harmonizer feature...I think you've got the wrong idea how it works....I do own a tiny Boss acoustic amp with guitar and vocal channels. The harmonizer is very basic...just up a 3rd, down a 5th and unison. I use the up3rd setting the most. It doesn't do any pitch correction though. So if you don't come correct with your voice it will spit out a harmony that's just as bad. the harmonizer is just listening to your guitar so it can make the best guess as to what kind of 3rd (major or minor) will go best with each note you sing. I have a FS that turns it on and off and I don't use the heck out of it...but it does add a nice flavor when I do use it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

As I understand it from YouTube videos, if you run a guitar or keyboard through a couple of the newer ones, they will autotune and keep you in key. The DigiTech vlhm one even has a mic for live key changes and autotuning with Harmony as well.
      Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

RE: auto tune...Ok then...I guess it makes sense that some of the newer and fancier stuff would auto-tune as well. But like crack I'd just say no.

Comment

Check out this

Comment

Nice and simple.

Comment

[FONT=Book Antiqua]
              Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
              Nice and simple.

I use a TC Helicon Voice Live 3 X it ain't simple but it is bad ass .

EZ :

HR
              It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I use a TC Helicon GT-X - more than enough for me with 5 presets, A/B, and tracking harmony from guitar.

Our singer uses a Helicon Voicelive Play - again, badass, but really for singers....
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a voicelive play (blue one). It does pretty much e everything you want, though I'm not sure how good the vocal distortion options are. The programming is simple and it's easy to move settings around when you hook it up tho a computer.

Comment

Ha Ace! I just got that same pedal....
                    Finally pulled the trigger.
                    It's simple, stompbox, going to really test it out tomorrow!

Comment

I set mine for one patch with a reverb, and one with an echo.

Then, for the B I add doubling. I sometimes set a harmony, but don't often use them. Less is more there.

Finally - I use the highest level of pitch/compression setting that I can.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X