Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Xotic EP Booster

hi guys,
    i believe the The Xotic EP Booster is a clean booster pedal yes/no? what other clean boost pedals would you guys recommend from the market, price no problem,
    bluefloyd.

Re: The Xotic EP Booster

Originally posted by bluesfloyd View Post
    hi guys,
    i believe the The Xotic EP Booster is a clean booster pedal yes/no? what other clean boost pedals would you guys recommend from the market, price no problem,
    bluefloyd.
    To do what? Make what style of music? With which guitars? Into which amps? With which pedals? Help us help you, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't played the EP Booster, but I believe that it isn't a clean boost in the simplest sense of the term. It adds coloration, and evidently many players like the coloration so much they leave it on all the time.

I've used a TC Spark Mini as a clean boost. It has one knob for up to 20 db of boost. It works great for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
        To do what? Make what style of music? With which guitars? Into which amps? With which pedals? Help us help you, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        hi vincet,
        i follow a guy called bjorn riis, he run a site about all things about pink floyd ( http://www.gilmourish.com ) his own site show/talks about his pedal board,amps, guitars etc,
        (http://www.bjornriis.com/my-gear/pedalboard )

his new december 2017 pedal board below is now using a The Xotic EP Booster in the chain,

CotaLab Buffer, Dunlop Rotovibe, Dunlop Cry Baby, Effectrode PC-2A tube compressor, Xotic Effects EP Booster, Buffalo TD-X, JHS Charlie Brown, Fulltone OCD, Strymon Deco, Mooer ElecLady, Ernie Ball Jr volume pedal, FX Amplification Heartbeat delay,TC Electronic Flashback, Hall of Fame.

he using a strat with three single coils into a custom built (70's hiwatt DR504 AMP ) he said he leaves the Xotic EP Booster on all the time, to give is clean sound a thicker sound, my guitar and amp are the same as bjorn, but my board is a scale down version of bjorn board,

all i need to know is if i was going to use a boost pedal like bjorn is , would you guys use the (Xotic EP Booster) yes/no? are there better pedal on the market to do this job? again price no problem,
        from bjorn i am only getting is view, from you guys on this and other forum sites, i get lots of views,

thank again for your time guys,
        bluesfloyd.
        Last edited by bluesfloyd; 04-16-2018, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The EP Boost is supposed to be based on the pre-amp section of the EP-3 Echoplex but I don't think the circuits are really the same. It's not a totally transparent clean boost but it's pretty popular as an always on pedal. It adds a bit of color and, of course, a fair amount of signal boost if you want it. Point being, there are other clean boost pedals that are more transparent. It all depends on what you want.

Comment

[QUOTE=Darg1911;4207498]The EP Boost is supposed to be based on the pre-amp section of the EP-3 Echoplex but I don't think the circuits are really the same. It's not a totally transparent clean boost but it's pretty popular as an always on pedal. It adds a bit of color and, of course, a fair amount of signal boost if you want it. Point being, there are other clean boost pedals that are more transparent. It all depends on what you want.[/QUOTE

hi Darg1911,

you say (there are other clean boost pedals that are more transparent) please recommend a few top picks, not worried about price,

thanks,
            bluesfloyd.

Comment

The Xotic RC Boost has gain and eq knobs but I think it's the model that can be set to be transparent. TC Spark mini is a transparent clean boost with a single level knob. The bigger TC Spark has eq knobs. The Fulltone 2B is transparent with limiter off but I think it's buffered bypass. Those are just a few. But all that said, you might like what the EP does to the tone. It's not like it totally changes it. It's more like it "blooms" or adds depth.

Comment

Yes, it is a clean boost.

No, it sounds nothing like a real Echoplex preamp (something many stomp manufacturers try to snow people over with).

Yes, it sounds good for what it is.

No, I didn't keep mine; sold it and bought the king daddy of (true) EP preamps: the Badgerplex Trilogy.
                Last edited by LLL; 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

To my ears, the EP Boost is best when at unity, it rounds out the bottom end a little, but the overall sense is of having “more” of your guitar’s tone.

I don’t enjoy it as a boost, because of its full frequency range - that low end that works so well at unity becomes too much when pushing the chain.

For a drive that does nothing to tone, but just boosts, I use the TC Spark Mini - it’s the last thing before my preamp, and I call it my ‘make it loud’ pedal - doesn’t matter what combo of modulation, drive or time pedals are in front of it, it just lifts the signal really, really well.

For a mid-push drive (of varying degrees), I use one or more of:

BYOC Silver Pony (Klon Centaur clone)
                  Xotic B.B. Preamp MB (mid-boost over Bluesbreaker tones)
                  BYOC Green Pony (Maxon OD820 w/ Tube Screamer mods)

The Green Pony is a very recent addition, but I have to say I LOVE it - it could well become my main drive pedal, it’s so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The other clean boost that gets mentioned in glowing terms is the Suhr Koko Boost, though I haven’t had chance to try one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

hi guys,
                      big thanks to all you guys above who posted your comments, a great help for me,

bluesfloyd.

Comment

Working...
                      X