banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latency adder: does such an effect exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latency adder: does such an effect exist?

I am sure many people who have run stereo rigs are familiar with the latency problems associated with digital effects: all digital effects slow the signal down every so slightly. The ear isn't fast enough to pick it up, but in a stereo rig it is likely to get you into all sorts of trouble with phase cancellation.

The obvious way to rectify this is to run the clean signal through the same effects as the effected, but this is not always possible, and will generally be impossible in a w/d/w rig. It might also degrade the signal, especially if one is using vintage effects.

With the advent of recording software, it is, however, a simple matter to see exactly how much latency a particular effect adds. This leads me to my question: has there ever been made an effect whose main task is to counteract time-based phase problems in stereo rigs?

Re: Latency adder: does such an effect exist?

Rare relative of the puff adder?

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The original analog adder

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
          Irene Adder
          That's Rachel McAdams. Either you post a wrong image, or I am missing something...lol.

Comment

He's thinking of her role as Irene Adler.

Okay, playtime is over; I would appreciate if any further jokes were taken to the off-topic section.

Comment

My only thought is put a clean delay line (mixed 100% wet) on the dry signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                I am sure many people who have run stereo rigs are familiar with the latency problems associated with digital effects: all digital effects slow the signal down every so slightly. The ear isn't fast enough to pick it up, but in a stereo rig it is likely to get you into all sorts of trouble with phase cancellation.

The obvious way to rectify this is to run the clean signal through the same effects as the effected, but this is not always possible, and will generally be impossible in a w/d/w rig. It might also degrade the signal, especially if one is using vintage effects.

With the advent of recording software, it is, however, a simple matter to see exactly how much latency a particular effect adds. This leads me to my question: has there ever been made an effect whose main task is to counteract time-based phase problems in stereo rigs?
                Hmmm... though it’d be possible to see the latency in a DAW, I don’t know that it’d be too discernible to the ear - you’re talking a fraction of milliseconds, likely not enough to significantly cause phase cancellation.

The challenge for a pedal is that it can’t bring events forward - it can only delay the originating dry signal to match the latency-affected wet signal. Were it noticeable to the ear, then both the dry and wet signals would be after the playing action.

Once again, though, the question is moot, because the latency wouldn’t be so great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  Hmmm... though it’d be possible to see the latency in a DAW, I don’t know that it’d be too discernible to the ear - you’re talking a fraction of milliseconds, likely not enough to significantly cause phase cancellation.

The challenge for a pedal is that it can’t bring events forward - it can only delay the originating dry signal to match the latency-affected wet signal. Were it noticeable to the ear, then both the dry and wet signals would be after the playing action.

Once again, though, the question is moot, because the latency wouldn’t be so great.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

If there was latency on the wet signal, because it's such a small interval, if it was noticeable to the ear at all it may be actually desirable in some scenarios. For example, the reason people often double track guitars in the studio is because the slight differences in timing and slight phase cancellation that results actually make the sound fuller.

Often times, if people are too lazy to double track or just don't have time, very slight delays applied to one track can be used to simulate it.

Comment

I think if you're intentionally adding latency to make up for your complex rig you ought to thinking about simplifiying things instead of adding complexity.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Pretty sure there isn't enough latency in effects to cause phase cancellation issues, is this one of those middle of the night "hmm?" questions when you can't sleep?

Comment

Why not attack the problem head-on? Why can’t we just offset the latency directly? It’s time for a pedal that can predict the future.
                        But if it is digital it will add latency, soon the future would become the past...
                        Last edited by devastone; 04-20-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Why not attack the problem head-on? Why can’t we just offset the latency directly? It’s time for a pedal that can predict the future.
                          You mean Transparent Time Bypass?

Comment

Digitech DL-8 Latency Delay

They may have renamed it
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah...you are over thinking this. It's a non-issue imo.
                              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X