banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Joyo Vintage Overdrive asymmetrical clipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Joyo Vintage Overdrive asymmetrical clipping?

I don't know much about wiring but I have this Joyo Vintage Overdrive and it's supposed to be fairly close to a Tubescreamer. Is it asymmetrical clipping since it has the D3 diode in the upper right?
    Attached Files

Re: Is the Joyo Vintage Overdrive asymmetrical clipping?

D3 is probably reverse voltage protection. Looks like symmetrical clipping diodes.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      D3 is probably reverse voltage protection. Looks like symmetrical clipping diodes.
      Thanks. I think you're correct. I was just reading some mods for this pedal and the modder listed as that. I modded my D1 by adding a second diode. I wish I had made some sound samples or made a switch between asymmetrical and symmetrical but I can save that project for another day. So far I'm digging the pedal set with the gain all the way down or fairly low going into my Boss DS-1 with the Marshall Mod. Maybe a bass boost mod will be my next mod.

Comment

I thought it was asymmetrical, assuming D1 and D2 are the clipping diodes, which are oriented opposite of one another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	5806434
        Last edited by DankStar; 04-30-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
          I thought it was asymetrical, assuming D1 and D2 are the clipping diodes, which are oriented opposite of one another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89544[/ATTACH]
          That’s how symmetrical clipping is done. One for the positive and one for the negative cycle.

If you have two diodes on one side, (or a different diode) that would be asymmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

this is why I don't work on tube amps lol

Comment

Hope you were using some type of ESD (Electro Static Discharge) protection when you took the pic, those transistors and the RC4558 can sometimes be damaged by static electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                Hope you were using some type of ESD (Electro Static Discharge) protection when you took the pic, those transistors and the RC4558 can sometimes be damaged by static electricity.
                No I did not. But it sounds pretty similar to before I nodded it but with the asymmetrical clipping mod.

Comment

Working...
                X