Where goes Dunlop Echoplex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where goes Dunlop Echoplex?

I decided to try my Dunlop Echoplex in front of amp instead of "correct place" in a loop after distortion. I used to have Boss DD-7 that sounded horrible in front of distorted amp, so I expected something similar. Instead I found it produces awesome classic rock vibe.

Originally I thought it to be good, but overpriced being +200 € new. Damn it really isn't when used right!

Thinking it through it's actually logical. After all, that's how original tape delays it's modeled after were designed to work.

It just not good sounding before distorted tube amp. It's much better there than in the loop!
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Where goes Dunlop Echoplex?

Nice! I’ve always wondered about those old echoplex’s too.
    Supposedly there’s some mojo in them!

And there’s also a newer pedal on the market that claims to use the same preamp from the echoplex...?

Comment

Re: Where goes Dunlop Echoplex?

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      And there’s also a newer pedal on the market that claims to use the same preamp from the echoplex...?
      Dunlop do the Echoplex boost as well as the delay pedal (they own the name), and there's the EP Booster by Xotic Effects, which is also supposed to sound like the preamp from the original Echoplex units.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
        Dunlop do the Echoplex boost as well as the delay pedal (they own the name), and there's the EP Booster by Xotic Effects, which is also supposed to sound like the preamp from the original Echoplex units.
        It was the EP Booster I was thinking about. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Nice! I’ve always wondered about those old echoplex’s too.
          Supposedly there’s some mojo in them!

Yes, they also make Echoplex booster. Then there's the Badgerplex, that seems to be same pedal, but apparently modded in some way...?

While the delay doesn't have boosting capabilities, it does have some of that "mojo" in it. It's hard to describe, but it's not perfectly transparent: It retains your tone, there's no shift in eq or gain added in any noticeable level, but makes it somewhat "fuller" sounding. Not unlike what people describe Klon to do with low gain, but subtler.

I've tried my friends tape echo couple of times. Not Echoplex, but it is the best sounding delay I've played. I think Dunlop does very good job mimicing that tone.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            I decided to try my Dunlop Echoplex in front of amp instead of "correct place" in a loop after distortion.
            They were not designed for that. Amps didn’t have effects loops then. They’re weren’t many effects either!

They were made to go in front of your amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              They were not designed for that. Amps didn’t have effects loops then. They’re weren’t many effects either!

They were made to go in front of your amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yes. I mentioned that in the original post...

Comment

The Dunlop Echoplex pedal is a most impressive tape emulator.

Comment

Working...
                X