ISP Decimator G String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP Decimator G String

I’ll preface this by saying... I’m a idiot and that I need things explaining to me comprehensively.
    Anyway I’m looking into buying a isp Decimator g string due to its ability to silence your guitar and gain pedals will also reducing the amp gain fizz/hiss but after viewing multiple diagrams I still don’t know how I’d hook it up
    My current set up is
    Guitar-wah-Overdrive-Octave-Noise Supressor-Volume with tuner connected to tuner output-Amp Input
    Amp FX send-EQ-Chorus-Reverb-Amp FX Return
    How would I hook up the G string so that I can still do volume swells with my volume pedal and that my Reverb won’t be cut off while still reducing guitar noise, noise from the gain pedals and reducing the amp noise, all help appreciated.
    Guitars:
    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Re: ISP Decimator G String

I have that noise suppressor. It is a great unit – the only such device I've used that I will tolerate, actually.

It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get the concept, you'll realize how great and versatile it is.

To start, think of the various inputs and outputs in the following way:

- The signal that initially goes into the pedal is the signal that informs the automatic application of the noise suppression. This signal does not actually get suppressed. It's the "clean" reference signal that tells the pedal's noise suppression circuit when to engage, and how much to engage.

- The items placed into the "loop" on the pedal are the things that actually get suppressed. Anything placed in this loop is what is having the noise filtered from it – nothing else.

Once you really grasp these things, then you can go to town with experiments to see what sounds best to you.

If you use a bunch of effect, you really want most of them to be placed in the Decimator G String's loop. That said, I'd think a volume pedal would be fine in front of it (can't say, as I haven't tried it). Try it both ways and see which sounds better.

If you want to use it as a simple in-out noise suppressor with an automatic tracking feature, then you need to put a simple jumper/patch cable into the pedal's loop. (This is usually how I use mine.)

You can also keep the pedal out of your effects board entirely, and run it in the effects loop, or between the line in and line out, of your amp.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-11-2018, 07:24 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

So far as far as I can grasp I’d hook it up like this
      Guitar-wah-volume with tuner-guitar in-guitar out-Overdrive-Octave-Distortion-Amp Input
      FX Send-Dec In
      Dec Out-EQ-Chorus-Verb-FX Return
      Would this setup be correct in order to reduce amp and pedal noise without cutting off volume swells and Reverb/delays.
      Guitars:
      Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
      PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
      ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
      Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
      Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
      Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
      Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
      Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
      Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

I also use that pedal...and like itsabass said, it’s confusing but once you get it it’s great.
        I can’t really just read your pedal path and automatically say “yes, that’s correct”. Whenever I set up a new board I have to take a minute and logically think through the path.
        Basically I put it first in my Fx loop. The pedals that come after it like delay, reverb will not get cut off by the gate.

Wah, volume, tuner all go before the gate.
        There’s a way you can gate both the Fx loop and the OD pedals in front of the amp too. But again, I’d need to be staring at your board and logically thinking out the signal path. I think you need to put the OD pedals before the input of the ISP and then send “amp out” to the amps input jack.
        I’ll be going through this same process next weekend when start my pedalboard rebuild.

Comment

-> means an actual cable
          >> means no cable needed, internal connection at pedal or amp

Guitar -> Wah -> Decimator Guitar In >> Decimator Guitar Out
          -> Overdrive -> Octave -> Amp In >> Amp FX Send
          -> Decimator Dec In >> Decimator Dec Out -> Volume -> EQ -> Chorus -> Reverb -> Amp FX Return
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
          X