banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True Bypass mod on SD-1, Tell me why not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Bypass mod on SD-1, Tell me why not...

Tell me why NOT to do this mod.

I am going back to an all analog simple signal path. An SD-1 into an NR-300 noise suppressor (or reverse) into my amp. Thats it.

I love the SD-1 tone to goose the gain channels and give another flavor, but when I turn off the SD-1, it still muddies the tone.

I've heard people say there are times to NOT do a true bypass on a pedal, but in this scenario, what will I be loosing? By putting the SD-1 in true bypass, it theoretically should be like plugging directly to the amp.

When would I actually want the input buffer? I've played some pedals with a fantastic input buffer; even though they weren't true bypass, when you turned them off you couldn't tell they were there. Thats what I want with the SD-1. Its my favorite boost.

Please tell me why this would be a bad idea.

Re: True Bypass mod on SD-1, Tell me why not...

I can’t give you a good reason not to.
    Go for it.

Comment

Well, if you have passive electronics, no buffers and a long cable run between the guitar and amp, there is going to be considerable signal degradation. If you have other buffered pedals you should be good.

Comment

What others call signal degradation I call taking the edge off. Go for it. I don't recall ever seeing any guitar player live and thinking "I wish the high frequencies were better preserved" but I have seen plenty where I thought "why does he have so much !@$# treble!?"

Comment

That is fair enough, even if the example given is rather lopsided, in that it compares a very technical and a very general observation. I think mine is a fair point to make, though, since the OP's main concern is colouring from the pedal's buffer. What is more, it is always easier to remove something that is there than to add something that isn't: he can always put in an EQ (or use the amp controls!) if he wants less treble.

Comment

There's also the Waza version. Many claim they have a much better quality buffer than the standard units.
            (never hurts to explore the most expensive and least logical option lol)

Comment

Buffer may not hurt, but buffers Boss pedals honestly aren't very good. I've found notable coloration in signal through every Boss pedal I've played.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                Buffer may not hurt, but buffers Boss pedals honestly aren't very good. I've found notable coloration in signal through every Boss pedal I've played.
                I’ll add Dunlop (wah) buffers to the not very good list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  I’ll add Dunlop (wah) buffers to the not very good list as well.
                  Most Crybabies (Dunlops) are neither buffered nor true bypass, which is why they do dull your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Most Crybabies (Dunlops) are neither buffered nor true bypass, which is why they do dull your tone.
                    I had one of the switchless ones, I forget which model (95Q?). I thought I had read somewhere that it is buffered. But I could be mistaken.

Also, I replaced it with an Cry Baby Classic (fasel inductor one) which is true bypass. Although they have a different term for it. They call it hardware bypass. But from what I understand they are essentially TB.
                    Also the Slash is TB, Buddy Guy is TB. There are many more that are too.
                    But the original Dunlop wah design is indeed not TB, as you stated.

Comment

First thing I would get rid of is the noise suppressor. Then pour kerosene on it and burn it so i can hear it scream before placing its melted remains into a bucket of wet concrete and chartering a boat out to the deepest part of the marianas trench and casting it off.
                      Then the true bypass or not thing for your sd1...yeah why the heck not? Those new clickless bypass relay things work well. Or not...it really doesn't make a big difference onstage.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-04-2018, 06:46 PM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If the only pedal in the chain is the SD-1, I would not suggest doing a True Bypass mod. (The downfall, as eluded to above) is that with the pedal off, you have the entire chain of cable from guitar to amp loading your signal. When you click on the now-True Bypass pedal, it will buffer the length of cable from the pedal to the amp. All of a sudden things seem brighter, when it’s just reducing the loading on the pickups.

If the noise suppressor is always on buffered Bypass, then this wouldn’t be an issue. Of course I’d rather have the Boss buffer than the Behringer one.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I wonder: is there anything one can do to make the Boss pedal less incriminating when off, beyond getting a bypass mod? Would a better buffer put before it help the matter, or is there anything else that can be done?

Comment

There is a simple solution: get a bypass looper. Then you can hear EXACTLY what your chain will sound like with and without the buffer.
                            I got one a year or so ago and immediately ditched two of my pedals, both of which were buffered and both of which altered my tone in odd or bad ways when turned "off" (a DOD eq pedal and a Tech21 Boost DLA). Being able to click a pedal in and out of the chain is priceless for figuring these things out. And if you don't mind adding two patch cables and a small pedal to your setup the loop IS your true bypass mod!
                            For what it's worth, I really wish I had kept the DOD and done a true bypass mod to it...
                            Last edited by Dave Locher; 06-04-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                              That is fair enough, even if the example given is rather lopsided, in that it compares a very technical and a very general observation. I think mine is a fair point to make, though, since the OP's main concern is colouring from the pedal's buffer. What is more, it is always easier to remove something that is there than to add something that isn't: he can always put in an EQ (or use the amp controls!) if he wants less treble.
                              True, and valid point well made. But if he only has one pedal and it has a tone knob he can compensate for that shift. I have always just liked the long cable(s)/ no buffer tone. But I also play medium to high gain and forget sometimes that not everyone does. When playing clean or semi-clean I like all the sparkle I can get and that means a buffer or short cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X