Custom board question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom board question

I made myself a pedal board both for the fun of it and because I am left handed. I built it with jacks on the left so the cables don’t drag round my ankles. Pedals always have the input on the right, it’s a very right handed world.
    Anyhow, it works really well with a mix of 240v and 9v pedals fed by connections under the upper deck with just one kettle lead in. No hum problems and I kept the power connections on the bottom floor as far away from the signal cables as possible.
    This was supposed to be a prototype but it worked out better than expected so never got remade. Having chopped it about a few times for changes in pedals, I’m now settled on these other than a Fulltone Supatrem to replace the little Malekko trem that got its knob ripped off in an accident. Yeah I know, it must have hurt. So if I rebuild it I’d like to make it lighter and wondered if anybody knows whether you can take the pedals out of the casings and bolt them directly to a deck. I’m thinking of the upper deck here rather than the lower deck and what I would like would be to replicate the layout in aluminium with the pedal internals effectively suspended from the deck by either the switches, or mounting the corners of the boards, replicating whatever method the manufacturer has used to mount them in the casing each time.
    I was thinking of an aluminium deck within a ply surround and another question would be whether the individual “pedals” would need to be isolated from the deck, and whether there would need to be continuity across the switches within each pedal. If I could also mount the wah hinge and pot etc on to the aluminium that would save a lot of weight for the wah casing which is by far the heaviest pedal on the board.

Any clues anybody ?
    Attached Files

Re: Custom board question

Not to sound like an ass but if you can’t carry around a half dozen or so pedals maybe you need to hit the gym.

Comment

Can you?
      Yes, check out all the Pete Cornish boards from the 70’s - 90’s. He built a bunch of pedals including wahs into single sheet pedalboards.

Should you?
      Maybe if you have Pete Cornish’s level of experience... Pedal housings provide physical protection as well as electrical shielding. You may have no issues or you may have to fight noise/grounding issues. The pedals that live in the loop would probably be ok, which ones do you stomp on?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I actually like inputs on the left. I am right handed. I like the chain to run left to right, like you are reading.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Stupid me for not thinking of that eh ��. Maybe if you ever broke your back you’d think differently.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Can you?
            Yes, check out all the Pete Cornish boards from the 70’s - 90’s. He built a bunch of pedals including wahs into single sheet pedalboards.

Should you?
            Maybe if you have Pete Cornish’s level of experience... Pedal housings provide physical protection as well as electrical shielding. You may have no issues or you may have to fight noise/grounding issues. The pedals that live in the loop would probably be ok, which ones do you stomp on?

I did think about mailing him but I will never be a customer of his so wasn’t sure whether to ask for his time. I guess another option could be to cut chunks out of the sides of the casings and just wrap metalised tape of some sort round them. Hmmm, lots to think about for version 2. Thanks though, much more sensible and helpful reply than the other guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitartwin View Post
              Stupid me for not thinking of that eh ��. Maybe if you ever broke your back you’d think differently.
              I was making half a joke there.
              Not trying to offend, my apologies.

Seriously though, the weight you will extract from the board in my opinion won’t make enough of a difference. Especially when you consider that now the pedals will have absolute no protection or shielding. Now worth it IMO.

I would look into a pull cart or something similar.

Comment

I'd just add some wheels and an extendable luggage handle. I am all about keeping things light as well. You could also use zip ties to secure the pedals- they work really well.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  I was making half a joke there.
                  Not trying to offend, my apologies.

Seriously though, the weight you will extract from the board in my opinion won’t make enough of a difference. Especially when you consider that now the pedals will have absolute no protection or shielding. Now worth it IMO.

I would look into a pull cart or something similar.
                  None taken dude. It is something I have to think about though and the reason why I only ever have heads and cabs rather than combos. I really do like the look of the Pete Cornish stuff, ultra neat and far better aesthetically than a gang of pedals.
                  The shielding is really the question, I might mail Pete and see what he says, it would be a catastrophe to build a board then find it was a howler. It works really well now even with the Dude gained up high, maybe I just need to think about how to move it better. A lid and a handle might just be all it needs, it’s the awkwardness more than the weight which causes me grief.
                  Cheers

Comment

Are pedals REALLY that important vs a Multi-fx?
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Not a good idea. Just one example why is that most pedals these days have the input and output jacks soldered directly to the board. The circuit boards are sized and laid out so that they fit snug in the case and the jacks are bolted to the case which supports the board and protects the jacks from stressing the board at the solder joints. The same usually goes for the footswitch and pots. In the case of pedals from small builders that still build completely by hand and use flying leads from the jacks, pots and switch/switches to the board, there is nothing securing the jacks, pots or switch except for the case. It would be doable to remove them from the case and find other means to support the boards, pots, jacks etc. but it would take some engineering creativity and would likely be a big PITA to implement. IMO anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X