banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion on the KLON Centaur Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion on the KLON Centaur Overdrive?

I love what the KLON does, but I don't find it as satisfying when pushed to maximum gain. The KLON seems to work best when the amp is set to the edge of distortion. I also find them to be inherently bright, but easily tamed via the tone control. It's a loud pedal! I don't think I've gotten this much volume out of any other overdrive pedal, and I have owned many. For full gain settings, I prefer my TS circuit and La Grange pedals.

Re: Your opinion on the KLON Centaur Overdrive?

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
    I love what the KLON does, but I don't find it as satisfying when pushed to maximum gain. The KLON seems to work best when the amp is set to the edge of distortion. I also find them to be inherently bright, but easily tamed via the tone control. It's a loud pedal! I don't think I've gotten this much volume out of any other overdrive pedal, and I have owned many. For full gain settings, I prefer my TS circuit and La Grange pedals.
    I agree.

Disclaimer, I haven’t played any actual Klons, just Klones.

Comment

I also find the KLON to be quite amp-dependent. With some amps it sounds like the best OD ever... Others, not so much. I suppose this is true with just about any device, pickups too. My Firebird sounds great through my Jubilee, not as good through my (now sold) VOX.

Comment

Your opinion on the KLON Centaur Overdrive?

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
        I have a BYOC Silver Pony (a pretty good Klone). My preference is definitely using it with gain off or only just on, and the level maxed to push the front end of my amp. From there, I can pretty much leave it on all the time and use the guitar volume to control dirt.

I only picked up fairly recently that the Klon circuit shines at either end of the gain pot, but in the middle of the gain sweep it loses treble. I hadn’t noticed until I read about it in the BYOC Green Pony (Maxon OD-820 clone) product description - sure enough, when I went and used the Silver Pony with open ears, there it was. You can read about the Green Pony here:

It’s a fabulous overdrive, and brings just what the Klone is missing (for me at least)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

good for making a blackface fender sound like it is turned up more than it is.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've borrowed a KTR, and really liked it at all gain levels...even maxed out. However, what it does wasn't something completely unique. I can get that sound with other types of overdrives as well. I didn't think it was magical or anything- it was very good, though.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              good for making a blackface fender sound like it is turned up more than it is.
              That was the intention.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I purchased a La Grange pedal last week. Since getting it, I haven't used my KLON at all. Not that the La Grange sounds like a KLON... I just like what the La Grange does for my sound. It has a boost feature works independently, which is a nice feature to have. Two pedals in one actually. Boosting the La Grange with the KLON may be something to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I've borrowed a KTR, and really liked it at all gain levels...even maxed out. However, what it does wasn't something completely unique. I can get that sound with other types of overdrives as well. I didn't think it was magical or anything- it was very good, though.
                  The KTR gets a wide range of tones and the volume and tone controls of my guitar become far more useful when I have the KTR on.

I use the full range of my tone pot and often turn the guitar volume control down to 2 or 3 to get a rootsy Americana kind of clean tone when the KTR is on.

I’ve not played any one pedal that can do everything that the KTR does. I think they’re great.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Since this thread, I built a BYOC Silver Pony, supposedly a 1:1 clone. I like it with a very clean 6v6 amp, with the drive on the pedal about 3/4 up. It is a great, dynamic overdrive without too much of a mid boost- the 6v6 amp has enough mids.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play with an Archer IKON always switched on in my pedal chain with Gain at 11 oclock Output at 2oclock and Tone at 12 oclock -I like the low mid growl and sparkle it adds -especially hitting it with an optical compressor. I've played original Klons, Tumnus, KTRS and all of them are wonderful -honestly there isn't enough difference to merit buying a vintage Klon Centaur for me -that's just something to worry about at gigs..

For people who like to drive their amps hard or play real dirty, I'm not sure a Klon clone is the best choice unless it is used to gain stage another pedal, as a Klon will reveal a lot of your playing -and that isn't necessarily a good thing. There is no hiding with a KLon inline.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have an EHX Soul Food, which is a loose Klone, but I like it a lot.

One of the two best local blues rock guys uses an Archer Ikon with an original TS-9 into a modded BF SR. After seeing him play last year, the tones he was getting inspired me to drop the bluegrass stuff and get my Strat back out full time. FWIW, I think he ran the TS-9 into the Archer. Also had an HBE CPR compressor, old Script Phase 90, Buddha wah, and a TC delay. He was twisting knobs on all of them all night, and got an insane amount of sounds from a pretty simple setup.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Ever see the insides of a Klon KTR? Click image for larger version

Name:	27A2CE35-6B66-495E-9269-3801F41E58DB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5812562

Comment

Hahaha. I love the label and arrow below the diodes. "These are essential". That's great. Looks like germanium diodes. They get a nice squishy sound and feel to them.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              Hahaha. I love the label and arrow below the diodes. "These are essential". That's great. Looks like germanium diodes. They get a nice squishy sound and feel to them.
                              Yep. I’ved owned several Klon clones, including several of the excellent sounding Aluminum Falcon and the Soul Food.

My KTR is the “squishiest” and most organic sounding of the bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X