How to Dial In a DOD Boneshaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Dial In a DOD Boneshaker?

I recently purchased a DOD Boneshaker and the 9 different controls seem pretty intimidating. I understand the gain and volume controls, and the depth knob doesn't really apply to me, but it's the 3 band parametric eq that confuses me.

Apparently the level at which you set certain frequencies also affects how they distort, also the ability to choose frequencies confuses me. Also, are there any hidden "tricks" to the pedal?

Re: How to Dial In a DOD Boneshaker?

Semi parametric EQ like that can seem intimidating at first. But you don't need to choose specific frequencies to use the tone controls; you can use just the inner knobs of the tone controls for now. I'd just leave the outer knobs at 12 noon in the beginning and treat the center ones as regular bass, mid, and treble. You can begin to experiment with changing the frequency centers around later, once you're more familiar with the pedal.

Eventually when you learn your way around you'll find it super flexible. But I think the Boneshaker is set up so that you can get decent good results without using the outer knobs in the beginning.

As for distorting certain frequencies more than others, that's worth trying too but IMO it's kind of a specialty trick. If you boost one band a lot it becomes especially distorted as well as a lot more prominent. I've used the Boneshaker that way once or twice as a feedback-on-demand box. I haven't ever tried to use it for adding grit just to the highs, for instance, but that ought to be possible. It's a versatile box with a lot of potential.

Myself, I've mostly been using it for solos: the flexibility makes it a handy box to have along if you don't know what amp will be available. Coupla weeks ago I arrived at a gig to find the backline provided was a solid state Laney combo whose lead channel was less than fantastic. Boneshaker gave me great solo tone anyway.

I don't know about hidden tricks. There's a lot that can be done with the sweep EQ to flavor the distortion character. You could also use the pedal with the Distortion knob turned way down so the pedal acts as a fairly clean boost with lots of tone shaping available.

Aside from the great EQ the only really unusual function is the Depth knob, which acts on the very low frequencies. I imagine it could make more difference with downtuned instruments or bass, but in standard tuning turning it down just gives a fairly subtle tightening of the deep lows. I seldom crank the low EQ up much but I imagine the Depth knob would have more effect when the bass is boosted substantially.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

With a Parametric anything - here is the way to really understand what they do:

*You may need a second set of hands to help you do this....

#1 Set the level to max. Or almost max if maxing the level is stupid.
      #2 Set the Parameter to lowest setting.

Then, start playing. As you play, have someone turn the level very very slowly up. Maybe 1 point/Increment at a time. Play a little and then repeat. Do this all the way to the top of the range, and back down again.

Along the way - make note of the sound that "does it" for you. That tells you the frequency you dig. Turn back up until you hit that and leave it.

#3 Then, turn the level all the way down, and repeat. LEAVE the frequency on the 'good' spot here! Play and turn up one "Increment" at a time on the level.
      #4 when you get to the "amount" of the "frequency" you dig - theres your sweet spot.

I know - sounds a little clinical, but otherwise you can spend forever picking around and never find a good sound.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks, Ace. That's good advice, and a good way to get there. A lot of people struggle a bit with parametric controls.
        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Working...
        X