Clear All

• NPD: Consider My Bones Shook

I acquired this beauty two days ago:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_122638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	5848532

When I first got it I thought the 3 band parametric eq was going to be an issue to dial in, but it was actually pretty simple. It sounds a whole lot better then my Soul Food run at 10 and is actually pretty flexible. I can get anywhere from a slightly dirty blues tone to full on metal.

It's funny, the other guy in my band has a Monte Allums DS-1 and Diezel MT-2, which actually sound pretty okay, and I could get this thing to sound 95% the same as them. I also plugged my bass in to see if I could get any use out of the "Depth" knob. And for $45 + shipping, this thing has a LED that can be seen from space.

Just for my own information, does anyone know why these things cost so little? When they first came out they were $165, now it's impossible to find them for more than a third of that.

Re: NPD: Consider My Bones Shook

It’s a fun pedal, isn’t it? I got mine for $35 straight from Harman.

I’d guess they produced far too many for the number they have sold so the price has been dropped to move them. Also, the entire staff that brought back DOD and developed these pedals has been let go as of this month I believe. There is a thread on The Gear Page that I linked to a while ago that details it a bit.

Wow. I really thought they were really having a lot of success with the Rubberneck, Carcosa, reissues, and some of the newer DigiTech stuff that was pretty unique like the Ricochet. What a bummer.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

It's a good pedal, I like how you can use the treble knobs to only cut ice picks out, and the bass control can also target the lower mids. It's a really useful pedal.

It's basically the Black Winter set of the pedal world, its advertised as if it's some sort of high gain monster, but it's actually good at just about anything.

How did the depth knob work out for you? I found on a lower tuned guitar it adjusts the feel of the instrument more then anything, but I assume it would have a much more pronounced effect on a bass.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I bought ten and have them stockpiled currently, I use my main one as a blues dirt pedal on a clean signal and signal saturater on a lead tone.
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Have you tried stacking the Soul Food with it yet?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Have you tried stacking the Soul Food with it yet?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
            Yes, the Soul Food is adds a bit of upper mid definition, but most of what I find is it gives it a looser feel and a bit more compression. At the settings I have it at it isn't too substantial though.

Comment

Good pedal, IMO unbeatable at the price. I agree the distortion is flexible too, although most of the attention quite rightly goes to the super versatile EQ.

The blue LED really is blindingly bright. You can't see the settings when the thing's engaged- with that LED on I can barely see the knobs!
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                Good pedal, IMO unbeatable at the price. I agree the distortion is flexible too, although most of the attention quite rightly goes to the super versatile EQ.

The blue LED really is blindingly bright. You can't see the settings when the thing's engaged- with that LED on I can barely see the knobs!
                The only things I dislike is that the distortion knob doesn’t do much for the first 75% of the turn and then it goes crazy and I also dislike how hard the footswitch is.
                Guitars:
                Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

From Tom Kramm, Digitech lead:

Originally posted by Tom Kramm
                  Each of the EQ stages of the Boneshaker can be overdriven independently, when you are using it in this fashion the first half of the gain control acts as a "fine" control to dial in/out the amount of distortion. And as LSMFT6 noted, the Depth controls how much low frequency is allowed into the circuit, so think of it as a "tight" control. As you turn it clockwise it dials out low-end, thus allowing you to tighten up flabbiness that can occur with distortion and low frequencies.

It's easy, just pick a frequency with one of the EQ controls then dime its level, it will then be overdriven. Then adjust the main Gain knob to dial in the overall amount of distortion.

This is all in reference to stage volumes BTW, that is when these fine adjustments become valuable.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Wow, I finally realized how noisy my Soul Food is. It wasn't all that bad when I used it by itself, but with the added compression from the DOD, it's almost unbearable now.

Time to buy an EHX Silencer...

Comment

@ '59- Do you have the Soul Food before, or after the Boneshaker?
                      "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by SAguitar View Post
                        @ '59- Do you have the Soul Food before, or after the Boneshaker?
                        I've got Soul Food, then Boneshaker, then Phase 90 (which is mostly off).

Comment

Try the P90 before distortion too, I like phase and flange before the gain but YMMV.

Comment

The Soul Food is a sort of a Klon Clone so it gets used a lot as a booster before distortion units. Lately I have experimented with putting it after overdrive/distortion and have liked what it's doing at that end of the chain. It adds some boost, while also adding a little compression and smoothing out the top end. That's working for me right now.
                            "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Working...
                            X