banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought A Rocktron Gainiac To Experiment With................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought A Rocktron Gainiac To Experiment With................

I am not into the death metal thing and I wanted to see what changing the tube variant would do to this unit. I removed the cheap Chinese 12AX7 and installed an NOS 5814A (military grade 12AU7) and the tone was much improved and the gain lowered. I wouldn't be able to use the unit as it was. Now it is useable. I tried it on my rack rig and it didn't fair well since the rig is already good. I then switched over to my Fender Super Champ X2 and it was like striking gold. sounds excellent. I don't use channel 2 at all and the Gainiac does really well with the SCX2.

Re: Bought A Rocktron Gainiac To Experiment With................

Congratulations on striking gold!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
      Congratulations on striking gold!
      Well........maybe not gold. I would prefer gold.........but the unit will do for now.

Comment

Glad it's working for ya after the tube swap!

Nothing wrong with the cheapie Chinese 12AX7's, tho!

Comment

I may be a tube snob because I always change out the foreign tubes for an NOS variant.

Comment

Congrats on finding a good tone! Any chance you can post clips?

Comment

People bash on it a lot, is it as bad as they say or are they just wanting more functionality? They don't make them anymore so I never got the chance to try it and I can't justify buying one.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                Congrats on finding a good tone! Any chance you can post clips?
                Sorry, I don't have the means to record. I hated the sound with the 12AX7. It sounds great with the 12AU7 variant.

Comment

I like it with the tube swap. I didn't like it so much with the 12AX7. I have a collection of tube pedals and I like some better than others. The Gainiac has a good tone and I also picked up a Rocktron XDC which is a 2 channel exciter and distortion. This unit isn't tube but does wonders for the tone clean or distorted. I find that I like exciter on the clean channel and using my Radial Tonebone Classic with a 5814A (12AU7 variant tube) The distortion of the XDC isn't as good as the Radial Tonebone pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                    Sorry, I don't have the means to record. I hated the sound with the 12AX7. It sounds great with the 12AU7 variant.
                    Bummer! But congrats on the good tone!

Comment

I bought a Ganiac off Ebay about 10 years ago and I liked it quite a bit,at the same time I bought a Digitech Valve FX rack unit and liked it better and sold the Ganiac,I didn't switch the Ganiacs tube but to me it had a good distorion sound and was easy to dial in.It had a solid build and was overall a good buy.

Comment

I like the unit. I bought it used from Guitar Center Tucson and the person who packaged it enclosed the wrong and improper power supply. The Gainiac requires a 9 VAC 1.5 (1500 milliamp) power supply and they sent me a lousy, cheap 9 VDC 150 milliamp power supply. They attempted to make it right and sent me a 9 VAC 650 milliamp power supply which could overheat and melt, fail or cause a fire. Why can't Guitar Center hire people who know something or actually care? Anyway, the guys at Guitar Center Pasadena GAVE me a 9 VAC 2.0 amp (2000 milliamp).

Comment

I would definitely buy another one if priced right,I should have kept mine because the Valve FX with the floorboard one controller and the Ganiac with a rack tube amp or seperate head would be a great simple rack setup.
                          I did try a Ganiac 2 years ago and the original model like you have sounded so much better.I'm glad you like yours,kinda makes me want to try to find one and buy it..Mild GAS attack!
                          Last edited by moshpit817; 06-29-2018, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I have several guitar rigs. I own 3 Peavey Rockmaster preamps, one is used as a preamp for a Stromberg-Carlson PA amp converted for guitar, one is mounted in a Carvin Bel-Air amp cab with my 1969 Fender Banter Reverb head and I mounted one vertically in the lower rear panel of my Trace Elliot Bonneville 4X10. The Gainiac is being used with my Vox Lil' Nigh Train head. I have a Rocktron XDC which is a exciter/distortion unit with my Fender Super Champ X2 head. It kind of makes my SCX2 sound like EVH.

Comment

Working...
                            X