banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EHX Pitchfork "bass" signal louder than dry signal. Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Pitchfork "bass" signal louder than dry signal. Fix?

Asking for a friend (really!) who uses a Pitchfork to drop his guitar signal down an octave for bass. I do not know if he uses a looper as well, or just plays the guitar and "bass" at the same time.
    In either case, he says the "bass" signal is louder than his guitar signal and there is no volume control, just a Blend knob that, well, blends the pitched signal with the dry signal.
    I have suggested he try installing a volume control into the effected signal path, right before the Blend control, OR an eq pedal after the Pitchfork to enable turning down just the frequencies that overwhelm the dry signal.

Any other thoughts or suggestions from people who know more about this than I do?

Re: EHX Pitchfork "bass" signal louder than dry signal. Fix?

Why doesn't he use the blend knob? This is what it's there for.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The Blend knob blends in effected/dry, but apparently with his setup the octave-down signal is louder when he brings it in enough to pass off as its own signal. (In other words, it's too loud to really balance the two?)
      I have never played through his signal chain, and he lives several states away from me, so I am not 100% clear on this issue other than he says when he kicks it on his sound gets louder in a way that the Blend control won't fix and if he lowers the volume of the entire signal to his amp then he loses his guitar gain.

Comment

I would prefer if the Pitchfork had dual outputs myself, that would be much more useful to me than the expression pedal function. That would definitely fix his problem.

What I say is try and use an EQ of some sort to try and diminish the volume of the bass frequencies. This isn't optimal as it would affect the tone of the bass, but it's worth a shot.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

He might be better off with a Digitech Drop pedal or a dedicated octave pedal...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            He might be better off with a Digitech Drop pedal or a dedicated octave pedal...
            I agree. He has good equipment, so he's not afraid to spend money. I don't know why he is so attached to this one pedal?

Comment

EHX Pitchfork "bass" signal louder than dry signal. Fix?

Not sure the pitchfork is the issue here.

It's a fine pedal with a blend knob like it was pointed out. The blend starts at completely dry.

My guess from the information is that down the signal path the EQ overphasizes the wet signal. I think the EQ pedal recommendation is sound. I would also think of pedal position in the chain.

Does it happen both with the note up and down?

Has he tried it in a mix? In the past I setup an octave down sound to fatten up my sound and at home it sounded like the guitar of doom but in the mix it was fine.
              Last edited by Blille; 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

His guitar IS the mix. It's just him and a drummer.
                If raising the volume when turned on is not a common Pitchfork complaint then I think the eq shift must be the issue.

Comment

Working...
                X