banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: Elektron Analog Drive. Yeah, it's that good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Elektron Analog Drive. Yeah, it's that good!

I may be the pickiest player there is when it comes to drive pedals. I've been through butt-load of them since 1978, but only several ever made the grade with me. BOSS DS-1, Ibanez TS8O8/TS9, Big Muff, KLON, early RAT, Rangemaster TB, T Rex Alberta, and OCD are my favorite drive pedals. I don't like crowded pedalboards, and so I generally would choose one OD and one Fuzz to place on my board. When I first saw the Elektron Analog Drive, I thought to myself; "Right! That thing will have 2 or 3 usable drives, and the rest will be sh!t!"

Never one to back-down from a challenge, I decided to place my order for the Elektron. It arrived at approximately 11 AM today, and I didn't stop playing through it until 2:45 PM. THIS PEDAL ROCKS!!! I have no idea what is up with negative comments regarding this pedal? it is no noisier than any other OD/distortion pedal out there. IMO, there are a lot of players who have no concept on how to properly set up a drive pedal.

Proper drive pedal etiquette:
    Set the amplifier MV to an acceptable room level, then adjust the pedal MV level to unity gain with the amplifier, no higher. Done! Using a drive pedal to exceed the stock volume specs of any amplifier is going to result in excessive noise. I don't "stack" drive pedals, nor have I ever needed to. If you have to stack pedals to get a great tone, you need to rethink your rig.

The High Gain and Thick Gain were the settings I thought I would never use... Wrong! Not much larger than a KLON, this pedal covers my drive and distortion needs, expertly! As a matter of fact, I'm ordering a second one. Any piece of gear that I love this much is sure to be discontinued.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	5848725
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM.

Re: NPD: Elektron Analog Drive. Yeah, it's that good!

I’ve been interested in this for a year now...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

looks pretty bad ass! how much are they?

Comment

Mine was a $249 bundle from Kraft Music. Bundle included: 1 x Elektron Analog Drive, 1 x Moog EP-3 expression pedal, and 1 x Hosa Pro cable.

Comment

Looks like you can get one for $222 from the big players. MIDI control to integrate with my ES8 is what I’m most intrigued about.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I never got along with the TC Nova Drive. If I ever go back to using a TC G System, this will be the perfect pedal. I'm blown-away by the price! I'd have to spend over a grand, plus have an extra square foot of board space to accommodate 8 drive pedals. I'm thinking about getting a small MIDI switcher, so that I can access the drives like individual pedals.
            Last edited by 67Mopar; 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

What can the expression pedal do with it? I always love pedals that you can control parameters with your feet.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                What can the expression pedal do with it? I always love pedals that you can control parameters with your feet.
                Gain and Mid Freq. are EXP controlled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	5809019

Comment

I spent some time using the AD through my Marshall today... Results are spectacular! The Harmonic Drive setting is the filthiest sounding octave fuzz I've ever played. I guess the early AD release needed a firmware update, but the latest version is absolute perfection. One of the coolest settings is Dirty Drive. This setting is nearly identical to a Mojave "Dirty Boy" amplifier that I once owned. Sounds the same as if you turned your amp line voltage down to around 70VAC. A gating effect that comes via staving the PSU capacitors of line voltage. You can get a similar effect by running a dying battery in a drive pedal, but this sounds more like a starved amp.

Guitars used:
                  Gibson LP Custom (HB pickups)
                  Gibson Firebird (FB pickups)
                  Gibson LP Deluxe (mini HB pickups)
                  Fender Stratocaster (SC pickups)
                  Last edited by 67Mopar; 07-20-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I have one of these. I’m putting it in my g system rig pretty soon. I like the nova drive too for some things. I would stack some of the drives if it were an option.

I won’t stack the thick drives probably but I could see putting the clean boost or tubescreamer setting in front of my amp on low settings and having it be useful. Maybe even the Klon if I’m using single coils.

It does sound pretty good and is super versatile for getting a lot of good tones. I have a fair amount of other drive pedals and this takes most of them on. I need to set it up with my H&k and begin to program all my midi channels.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                      Any piece of gear that I love this much is sure to be discontinued.
                      Hilarious. And true.

(pedal looks bad arse BTW)
                      Last edited by DankStar; 09-15-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X