X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coma
    replied
    Re: DIY patch bay ground noise

Aaaaand the mandatory color coding so band mates don't have to wait for 30 minutes while I trace cables trying to remember how I had wired it up again [emoji28]

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

1989 Charvel 750 XL

Leave a comment:

• 6stringerguy
    replied

Originally posted by Coma View Post
    Fingers crossed, boys and girls.
    What guitar is that??

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Nice

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

It works beautifully. [emoji3]

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Fingers crossed, boys and girls.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    DIY patch bay ground noise

The pics I posted above obviously are from my small board and that is only used to run to the Fx loop.
    On my Splawn board I have a 6 outlet junction box that runs to the Fx loop, front of amp and handles the cables for channel switching.
    I have zero additional noise in my signal from either junction box.
    I would think a properly isolated and ground box wouldnít add noise. If you are getting some itís likely something in the wiring/grounding.
    But, Iím no expert. Thatís why I had someone else build them for me. Lol
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Well I started drilling the box now. Won't be able to finish tonight but will hopefully have something put together by tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

That is probably the best of both worlds, but you still need a metal box, the reasoning behind that is the grounded metal jack grounds the box, creating a shield around the isolated connections.

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    By isolating them you may be creating ground noise, and yes, the grounds are all connected in the NS-2.

FWIW, I have had noise issues from sharing a power supply on pedals in front of the amp and pedals in the loop, the solution was to use separate power supplies or different outputs on a brick with truly isolated supplies for fx in front and in the loop. Not sure what would happen with the NS-2, I wasn't using one then. (FWIW that is one of my favorite noise suppressors)
    Currently, I've had no issues with noise in my setup. I'm just not sure if having all cables connected trough the one patch pay, as opposed to my previous setup with three 5 meter cables running to and from the amp will be a problem. What's really making me confused is a lot of sources say different things regarding the need for using isolated or non-isolated jacks.

Stinkfoot, for instance, recommends using one properly grounded jack and then isolated plastic ones for the rest of the box.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

By isolating them you may be creating ground noise, and yes, the grounds are all connected in the NS-2.

FWIW, I have had noise issues from sharing a power supply on pedals in front of the amp and pedals in the loop, the solution was to use separate power supplies or different outputs on a brick with truly isolated supplies for fx in front and in the loop. Not sure what would happen with the NS-2, I wasn't using one then. (FWIW that is one of my favorite noise suppressors)

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    In the pic above, those metal jacks are all grounded together through the box, as it should be.

A metal box will provide some shielding and also ground the "grounds" (rings) together, which is probably what you want. OP, what exactly are you using this patch bay for?
    The idea is to run cables from pedal board to front of amp, then FX loop to and back from pedal board.

Im just trying to figure out if I'll have any issues with ground loops. Esp seeing as how my NS2 is connected in X pattern, so it's already both in front of and in the loop.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

In the pic above, those metal jacks are all grounded together through the box, as it should be.

A metal box will provide some shielding and also ground the "grounds" (rings) together, which is probably what you want. OP, what exactly are you using this patch bay for?

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Ok, so this is just a box for running to my Fx loop. 2 ins and 2 outs. Hopefully youíre able to see what you need.
    Itís metal enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by Coma View Post
    Would love a picture thanks [emoji106]
    You got it.
    Iím hoping Iíll have a couple of minutes before rehearsal tonite to do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X