Explain compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain compressors

A Compressor kills tone. A Limiter can be handy, especially when playing slide.

Comment

Since when is tone something set in stone?
      Rubbish talk!

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
        I disagree. My compression settings absolutely enhance mine.

Comment

There is no doubt that some absolutely do. And there even more that do because of user errors.

But they can also vastly improve sound when used in the right situations in the right way. Sometimes the answer is a limiter, sometimes a comp, sometimes a sustainer, or a combination.

And sometimes the overly-quashed tone is a cool sound unto itself. (ask Andy Summers....)

I like them sometimes, usually live, and often for acoustics. But it's cool if you don't dig them.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I like them sometimes, usually live, and often for acoustics. But it's cool if you don't dig them.

... Somebody dissented... respectfully?! On the interwebz? IN 20-FRICKIN-18?!

I think hell just froze over. You, sir, can marry my daughter any day!*

* Please note, I don't have any daughters. If I did, you'd probably have to ask for their consent first. But feel free to noodle my guitars.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Comment

A Compressor kills tone
                What part of the tonez does it kill?
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The bypass...it lies through its teeth!
                  That is why they invented compressed bypasses!
                  True compressed pass!

Comment

A Compressor kills tone.
                    Compression is kinda like reverb. If you can hear it, you're using too much. Subtlety is your friend.

Comment

^^True dat. The only time I notice a compressor is when I accidentally turn it off and I notice their is something weird with my sound.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        There is no doubt that some absolutely do. And there even more that do because of user errors.

But they can also vastly improve sound when used in the right situations in the right way. Sometimes the answer is a limiter, sometimes a comp, sometimes a sustainer, or a combination.

And sometimes the overly-quashed tone is a cool sound unto itself. (ask Andy Summers....)

Come to think of it, I still have an old MXR DynaComp that I used for coloring and sustain. Haven't used it in decades. From what I recall, I was using it with a Boogie Mark I. I'll have to dig it out and do some experimenting. I stopped using it when I switched to a Marshall 1987 50 watt.

Comment

I've got a couple of old Keeley compressors and an old boss CS-3.
                          They work great, but you have to learn how to set them. And as it's been said, you're more likely to hear a difference when you turn it off, if it's set right.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a great experiment for a guy last weekend on my acoustic

Straight guitar (Ovation Celebrity)
                            Added Comp
                            Added HD28 modeling
                            Added Apex Exciter

Then, turned all off

Then turned on/off individually, no Exciter, No Model, No Comp

With comp on it is even and punchy with arpeggios and chords! Without....well, the performance and sound varies.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Compression is kinda like reverb. If you can hear it, you're using too much. Subtlety is your friend.
                              Heh, I just bought my first reverb for one specific song in our live set. Set it for a big, mountain top-esque sound for a clean part. Then tried to use it during my guitar solo. Pure a**! Will have to rely on delay for distorted bits, I guess.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                Originally posted by Coma View Post
                                Heh, I just bought my first reverb for one specific song in our live set. Set it for a big, mountain top-esque sound for a clean part. Then tried to use it during my guitar solo. Pure a**! Will have to rely on delay for distorted bits, I guess.
                                I find that a short reverb works well for gain settings for the most part. You can even use longer reverb trails as long as you keep the mix low otherwise it overwhelms the primary tone.
                                On clean it works a bit different. You can use larger, bigger reverb sounds for more ambiance and space.
                                For solos, I like a small splash of reverb with some delay for ambiance.
                                I typically like a plate style reverb over a Hall or spring for gain sounds, but Hall on clean is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X