Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss SD-1 mod suggestions

Hi guys,

Scored a SD-1 used today, and in keeping with my tradition of not leaving well enough alone, what mods should I make on this pedal?

1. Straight to TS-808 conversion
    2. the mythical (or not) Clay Jones Overdrive
    3. Keeley 5 Star Mod
    4. Fulltone Fulldrive? mod

Playing blues into Vox AC15C1.

Appreciate your ideas, thank you!

Re: Boss SD-1 mod suggestions

I have one I did the Monte Allums mods to, really made a difference for under $30 and an hour soldiering. The hardest part was drilling for the switches.

Comment

Here are the Wampler mods:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180806-150107_Drive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5809279

Name:	Screenshot_20180806-150056_Drive.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	5809280

Name:	Screenshot_20180806-150046_Drive.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	5809281

Name:	Screenshot_20180806-150033_Drive.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5809282

These are from Bryan Wampler's book about modding pedals, if you like these he has several hundred more for different pedals in the book, which can be bought in Amazon. I am not affiliated, I just think it's a good resource.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Here are the Wampler mods:

These are from Bryan Wampler's book about modding pedals, if you like these he has several hundred more for different pedals in the book, which can be bought in Amazon. I am not affiliated, I just think it's a good resource.
        Wow that's great! Here's to hoping I got the pre SMT version.

Comment

Originally posted by raistlin View Post
          Hi guys,

Scored a SD-1 used today, and in keeping with my tradition of not leaving well enough alone, what mods should I make on this pedal?

1. Straight to TS-808 conversion
          2. the mythical (or not) Clay Jones Overdrive
          3. Keeley 5 Star Mod
          4. Fulltone Fulldrive? mod

Playing blues into Vox AC15C1.

Appreciate your ideas, thank you!
          I am getting ready to do the Monte Allums Dual Stack Mod to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpletele View Post
            I am getting ready to do the Monte Allums Dual Stack Mod to mine.
            Awesome, keep us updated as to how it sounds! Too bad indyguitarist is no more , there seem to be a wealth of mods in there...

Comment

Monte Allums GT mod is the way to go.

Comment

Honestly I think it’s best to start with a goal in mind of what you are trying to get it to do and what you are looking for, go from there. What is that you want to change? You will have some limits because it’s such a fundamentally simple pedal, but for what it is it does have potential to go a lot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
                  Honestly I think it’s best to start with a goal in mind of what you are trying to get it to do and what you are looking for, go from there. What is that you want to change? You will have some limits because it’s such a fundamentally simple pedal, but for what it is it does have potential to go a lot of places.
                  One of my main goals would be getting a nice blues crunch at bedroom levels.

As it is, straight to my Vox AC15C1 Top Boost Channel my MV is barely 9 o'clock, so my pre-amp is around 2 o'clock to get a slight-breakup at realistic home levels.

I am hoping to try getting the power amp overdrive, perhaps at MV 1 o'clock, pre-amp volume at 9 o'clock, and the pedal providing the gain (or boost)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

One of my main goals would be getting a nice blues crunch at bedroom levels.

As it is, straight to my Vox AC15C1 Top Boost Channel my MV is barely 9 o'clock, so my pre-amp is around 2 o'clock to get a slight-breakup at realistic home levels.

I am hoping to try getting the power amp overdrive, perhaps at MV 1 o'clock, pre-amp volume at 9 o'clock, and the pedal providing the gain (or boost)?

Thanks for your thoughts.
                    So for that I would start by increasing the clipping threshold and delaying the transition into clipping. Then I would consider playing with the frequency response a little. So the two most simple things you can do would be to maybe adjust c3 to .22uf, or .1uf to shape the mids/low mids a bit more, and then adjust d4 to an LED, and d5 with a 1n4001, replace d6 with a 470r resistor.

Simple stuff like that first.

Comment

you cant push the power amp and keep the volume down that way. in order to get the power amp to sound the way you say, it needs to work hard and that means volume. doesnt mean you cant get great tones from what you have, you just need to think about it differently. the power amp only works as hard as the preamp forces it too. by running the master high, you just arent reducing the signal hitting it from the preamp but since you are running the preamp low you arent pushing as much signal to the power section.

Comment

Another vote for Monte Allums mods.

Comment

With the level and drive maxed out there is a very slight increase in distortion. My MV is 8 o clock, top boost channel is 3 o clock. Am I missing something here? Nothing super crunchy like in the YouTubes.

A bit fizzy, grainy, fuzzy, a slight increase in picking dynamics. Rather underwhelming.

After reading another thread on the SD1 I am thinking I am just not cooking the power tubes enough. Am I correct in that assumption? I have no feasible way to crank without being reported to the police. As it is I much prefer the sweeter cleaner chimey Vox sound without the Boss.
                          Last edited by raistlin; 08-09-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

With the level and drive maxed out there is a very slight increase in distortion. My MV is 8 o clock, top boost channel is 3 o clock. Am I missing something here? Nothing super crunchy like in the YouTubes.

A bit fizzy, grainy, fuzzy, a slight increase in picking dynamics. Rather underwhelming.

After reading another thread on the SD1 I am thinking I am just not cooking the power tubes enough. Am I correct in that assumption? I have no feasible way to crank without being reported to the police. As it is I much prefer the sweeter cleaner chimey Vox sound without the Boss.
                            Cut the master volume and jack up the top boost volume to get a dirty sound at reasonable volume. Then you can use the SD-1 at a lower gain setting, and with better results.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks , I will give it a whirl tomorrow. I should also mention that my pup height (all vintage output SDs) is rather low (almost flush) and am using moderate action.

Comment

Working...
                              X