banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One pedal for a modern metal tone . . . into a clean'ish amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One pedal for a modern metal tone . . . into a clean'ish amp.

Here is a simulated scenario for you.

You play in a metal band.
    You go to another city, where you play the amp(s) that is already there, but when you get to the gig, you see to your shock, there is only a Fender Twin Reverb for you.
    Luckily there is a well equipped guitar store (no rentals) around the corner that is still open for the next 10min.
    What pedal would you borrow, to get the gig done ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: One pedal for a modern metal tone . . . into a clean'ish amp.

Works well in front or into the return IMO, although when you run through the front it gets more complicated due to all the EQ overlaps and the need to get the levels of volume and input/gain matched and balanced right to achieve one's desired tonal response. Personally I think the potential is greater through the front because you have so many more parameters to play with, and it doesn't have to be through the front into the clean, it can be massive as a dirty or pushed-clean booster/EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Works well in front or into the return IMO, although when you run through the front it gets more complicated due to all the EQ overlaps and the need to get the levels of volume and input/gain matched and balanced right to achieve one's desired tonal response. Personally I think the potential is greater through the front because you have so many more parameters to play with, and it doesn't have to be through the front into the clean, it can be massive as a dirty or pushed-clean booster/EQ.

. . . yup, i saw that clip.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

A Mooer Black Truck is all you need.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

For this scenario it's also worth noting that $50 or less will get you a fresh MT-2 at about any music store in the civilized world, and they all have at least two beat-up zones for $30ish lol.

Comment

Yeah, that MT-2 video has certainly made the rounds recently. Personally I say a Fender Twin Reverb will have trouble getting good metal tones no matter how you slice it.

Personally, I'd go and buy an Orange Micro Terror and a decent cab off the used rack. They might even spend some time at my house after the gig.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'd go for the Palladium.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Palladium sounds like a good distortion box, but the demo really didn't sound like what I think of as a modern metal tone.

That look on Ola's face when he turns on the MT-2 is hysterical. He certainly debunked the idea of the Metal Zone being worthless. I took a lot of crap on here back in the day for being a fan.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Andy in the demo isn't a metal player, I'd look for a Palladium, 5150, or something along that line.

Or, an AMT D2, R2, or something along those lines, maybe even one of the Mooer Micro preamps which should work well into a really clean amp.

Or, as mentioned, the Mooer Black Truck, a guy on sevenstring.org says the distortion sounds just like his AmpTweaker TightMetal (or maybe Fat Metal?)

The Metal Zone definitely sounded better in the loop in Ola's demo, I'm still not a huge fan.

*EDIT* forgot about the ISP Theta, those sound great, no shortage of gain but might be a little smooth sounding.
                  Last edited by devastone; 09-06-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Another vote for the MT-2.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Andy in the demo isn't a metal player, I'd look for a Palladium, 5150, or something along that line.
                      ^ +1 Add the Bogner Uberschall to that short list.

Comment

Mad Professor Stone Grey–extremely articulate even with the distortion dialed all the way up. It's my high gain go to through my Fender Blues Deluxe. It absolutely lives up Mad Professor's description from my experience.

Comment

Lots of good choices!

Comment

I think the Metalzone sounds OK in those vids when used as a preamp, but there's better choices out there now. Sounds OK for the price, though.

Comment

Any AMT Preamp into the FX return, once I tried the SS-20 into the fx return of a Fender HotRodDeluxe iii, a radically different amp. Maybe a Boss GE-7 to fine tweak the EQ and you are ready to go.
                              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                              X