Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen Drive vs. J.Rockett The Dude

Hi,
    Anyone have an occasion to try these one against the other? I would sure love some input about each vs. the other. I searched here and found nothing so maybe I searched incorrectly.
    Any thoughts? Just these two. Using SG '61 with Seth Lover bridge into Fender H.R. Deluxe.
    Thank you in advance,
    Steve Buffington

Re: Zen Drive vs. J.Rockett The Dude

I have, very briefly, tried The Dude. I have a Zen Drive (clone that I built). The Dude has more gain on tap and the EQ is more flexible. They don't really sound the same but there is some overlap. But again, I didn't play with the Dude long enough or side by side with a Zen. Plus, there are a few Zen Drive versions. I did like The Dude though.

Edit ... I also didnt play them through the same amp so ... my comparison is probably even less relevant.
    Last edited by Darg1911; 09-20-2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Wish I could help but I haven't tried either–known a lot of love for the Zen Drive from guys I've jammed with.

Comment

The Zen Drive I have is a Red one from Guitar Center, some limited edition. I tried it against my friends silver and it sounded exactly the same. The reason i ask is I have one last gig to play
        in my life, in my home town. I have both pedals, but as we all know, sounding one way in a small condo is way different than playing it onstage.
        The band I'm in will not be rehearsing, it is my "farewell" to live performing, all my still living old time fans will be there, so a lot of pressure for me. Had a big fan base here from 1969 till 1975. So I am just trying to be sure and not mess with stuff live, I only have one hour or so and that's it. The Dude does have "more" of a big sound in my room, but can't tell where to set it just right in a real big room.
        So, just asking. Thanks for responding.
        SJ

Comment

If you've already been using the Zen, just stick to what you know.

Comment

Any chance for a sound check the day of the concert?

I agree that I would stick with what you know...but then again if it is your farewell then why not go out with the one that has the bigger sound?

Comment

I have never used either one on stage before. However, fooling with them quietly in my room, it does seem that the Zen is much softer overall and the Dude has more bite, and a "crunchier" distortion. And as you say, a "Bigger" sound when I match level and Gain set the same. The shaping knobs are odd, with one you get much more mids but turn it just a little and it gets a very high end sound all of a sudden. They both do this. They are hard to know for a big room.
              Overall, from your comments and my extra fine tuning I am going to bet on the Dude, and have the Zen on the board for a quick check during a fill. Also the Dude seems to have more bite when boosted by my silver Archer. I sure envy you guys with no neighbors or concerns about volume.
              Again, thanks.
              SJ

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                I have never used either one on stage before. However, fooling with them quietly in my room, it does seem that the Zen is much softer overall and the Dude has more bite, and a "crunchier" distortion. And as you say, a "Bigger" sound when I match level and Gain set the same. The shaping knobs are odd, with one you get much more mids but turn it just a little and it gets a very high end sound all of a sudden. They both do this. They are hard to know for a big room.
                Overall, from your comments and my extra fine tuning I am going to bet on the Dude, and have the Zen on the board for a quick check during a fill. Also the Dude seems to have more bite when boosted by my silver Archer. I sure envy you guys with no neighbors or concerns about volume.
                Again, thanks.
                SJ
                Best of luck on the concert! Will it be recorded?

I think that is a good plan to go with the Dude but still have the Zen on board.

I'm sorry to hear it is your farewell concert, you are a killer guitar player from what I've heard of you. Hopefully you aren't done playing guitar entirely!

Comment

another vote here for the Dude...
                  If I understood your post, you also have a silver archer....I have compared the silver archer side by side with the zen drive...imho the zen is a substitute for the archer...while it can get a little more dirt at extreme settings, the truly useful settings are redundant to the Archer with the Archer winning due to more raw volume on tap...I took the zen off my board in favor of a second od with more character and gain...usually an OCD or ts808. good luck on your finale show

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only tried the Zen, but if it works great the music you pay, I'd go with that. Especially f you're already more familiar with it

Comment

Thanks guys,
                      I hope it: 1. gets recorded. And 2. I play in my personal top form. I will always play at home. All my guitars, even my SG '61 and my Les Paul (and all my partocasters, etc.) have a TwangBanger in the neck and mostly a Seth Lover (with a RCA5 mag) in the bridge. Those two together in phase sound so bell like, so chimy, I can get any sound I want out of them.
                      Like Jimi on Axis, or Peter Green before his troubles. My board is very versatile at home, my only question, which I have answered thanks to your input, is gain staging live. It is easy at home. Well, thank you all. I'm sure I'll always have a question or two - a true believer in guitar and gear never gets bored - even if just at home.
                      SJ

Comment

If it is recorded then please share if you are able!

When is the concert?

Comment

Working...
                        X