banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overdrive to pair with MXR GT-OD to get grunge/punk rock distorsions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive to pair with MXR GT-OD to get grunge/punk rock distorsions?

Hi there, I own an awesome MXR GT-OD but by itself it doesn't quite get me to some kind of sounds I often need, like thick/focused distortion in the style of grunge and punk rock. I always hear people saying using two ODs can make wonders. Which OD could I get to do that? I really love the MXR Il Torino by itself, so it would be nice if it could do the trick paired with its broher GT-OD, but any advice is welcome as long as tje pedal is not boutique expensive. Thanks a lot.
    Ekam Sat

Overdrive to pair with MXR GT-OD to get grunge/punk rock distorsions?

What have you tried so far? I would try an OCD (or OD Glove cheaper), a Marshall in a Box (MIAB) kind of pedal (there’s a wide range of pricing), or... a DS1 or DS2. If you have a specific sound in mind it could help. And knowing your guitars and amp too.

Not sure how they would stack or if you would need to stack them since these might get you there already. I think punk and grunge are different but both of these have IMHO sounds like the above in common. The way I would use it is one of the dirt boxes I mentioned as your base tone and the MXR as a solo boost before the box. So you get a bit more volume but more than anything more focused distortion. Like pushing a Marshall with a TS.

Disclaimer: I haven’t played grunge since the 90s.
    Last edited by Blille; 09-29-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Re: Overdrive to pair with MXR GT-OD to get grunge/punk rock distorsions?

In my experience, most punk guys were simple with their setup. Straight into an amp, or maybe a TS. I think the MIAB suggestion is a good way to go. As for grunge, anything from an OCD, MIAB, or fuzz would work well, depending on what specific tones you want. I really don't think stacking is needed, or even beneficial in your case.

Comment

Boss DS-1
        Big Muff
        SansAmp GT-2

That said, a lot of that era was cranked up amp tones. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are more famous for their choice in amps than their choice in pedals.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

+1 on an OCD.
          Excellent pedal for that hard clipping sound and stacks nicely.
          Rats are pretty cool too.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

For the moment I'm settling with a very inexpensive option: a Mooer Black Secret, that is a pretty nice Rat clone and costed me 25$! (I have yet to receive it)
            Ekam Sat

Comment

For inexpensive options I am stunned with metal cover Joyo pedals: They have lots of classic circuits with excellent build and sound quality with real deal construction (ie. no SMD's). Everything looks and feels as solid as you could hope for. For a 40 € that's somewhat unbelievable.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                For inexpensive options I am stunned with metal cover Joyo pedals: They have lots of classic circuits with excellent build and sound quality with real deal construction (ie. no SMD's). Everything looks and feels as solid as you could hope for. For a 40 € that's somewhat unbelievable.

Mmmh never heard about Joyo... I'll check them out!
                Ekam Sat

Comment

The Mooer will probably get you there. I suspect Mooer and Joyo are the same company or at least use the same factories?
                  I have tried a few Joyo pedals. Some are really good, some are just okay, and some (cough cough *Dyna Compressor*) really suck. But they are cheap to buy and easy to sell.

Comment

DS-1. So many classics are just a DS-1. Japanese ones are better but new ones are fine.

DS-1.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      The Mooer will probably get you there. I suspect Mooer and Joyo are the same company or at least use the same factories?
                      I have tried a few Joyo pedals. Some are really good, some are just okay, and some (cough cough *Dyna Compressor*) really suck. But they are cheap to buy and easy to sell.
                      They might be. I recall seeing Joyo ads in Mooer site or vice versa... Mooers (what I've seen at least) use SMD's and are generally more modern, where as Joyos seem more traditional in construction.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

For overdrive, a Boss SD1 will do the job boosting your other overdrive. Mooer Flex is also great, chap and handy in size.

I've owned several DS1, but I can't stand them. I prefer the MXR Distortion + if your into that kind of sound. You can even build one, by ordering a kit. It's a simple pedal.

If you want one pedal to do the job,i really like the MI Audio Crunch Box. Sounds like a Marshall in a box, at least as good as it gets in a pedal form.
                        Last edited by Troll; 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I say, fuzz it out with La Super Rica.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are lots of pedals that can get you that sound on the cheap.

Xvive Golden Brownie definitely gets you in this ballpark.
                            Behringer VT999 is cool in the upper ranges of its gain knob—especially boosted.
                            Danelectro Daddy-O. Mine is modded but I think the stock pedal would work fine.
                            JOYO US Dream
                            The OCD or Joyo Ultimate Drive wouldn’t be my first choice as it would need a pretty decent boost to hit those gain levels, and I don’t know much about the pedal you have now.
                            I don’t think the DS-1 sounds decent unless it’s running into a cranked tube amp, and not many of us get to use those all the time.
                            Mooer Black Secret was a decent suggestion, but it needs a boost to keep things tight IMO. The Mooer Cruncher and Solo would probably work better by themselves.

Comment

It's a pickup thing, probably.

A lot of grunge and punk is just distorted single coils. Or sometimes an H/S position 2 mix of single coils and old dimarzios.
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X