New Boss Wazas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Boss Wazas....

SMT is just a different package of the same chips, the only downside is that modding them is harder, electrically they work the same.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      SMD components can be discreet, you're confusing packaging with type. As far as I know the SD-1 never used SMD components, but it does use an opamp (the same as a Tube Screamer FWIW) so that throws out the discreet part. I'm not sure you can fit all the components (or even buy all the components in thru hole packages) for the DC, I really don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure it is digital.
      Yes sorry, I should have said through-hole vs surface mount. I can't confirm the Sd-1 hasn't gone surface mount yet, but I know many of their other dist /OD boxes are so it will be soon. The DC-2 is analog, the DC-3 went digital.

And I still agree the SD-1 price jump is pretty insane...but I don't get the Tuner either...

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      AFAIK, the Waza stuff is not MIJ, just "quality-controlled in Japan".
      I've seen both 'inspected' and 'made' in japan stickers...more to the mystique!

SMT is just a different package of the same chips, the only downside is that modding them is harder, electrically they work the same.
      Yes, but this is the guitar world we are talking about...
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I have a BS in EET, even though I've been doing mechanical design for 30 years. I don't buy into snakeoil, in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell a circuit built with SMT components vs thru hole. Again, the downside is SMT is a pain to mod if you can at all.

Comment

World Of Wazacraft.

I just looked and they're Wazafying a lot of their stomps... including tuner.
          Last edited by LLL; 10-18-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Comment

I have a BS in EET, even though I've been doing mechanical design for 30 years. I don't buy into snakeoil, in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell a circuit built with SMT components vs thru hole. Again, the downside is SMT is a pain to mod if you can at all.
              Yep.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i just got my dc-2w. when i get home tonight i'll crack it open and all mysteries about surface mount & analog components will be revealed.

Comment

oh, i snapped one pic before i left for work:

Comment

Dude... come here and they let you listen to sound clips of the pedal that also allow you to somewhat fiddle with the controls.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

UPDATE: surface mount.

there looks to be a chip on the board with the switches, so i'm assuming it is digitally contolled but the signal is analog.

Comment

Interesting...pics by chance?
                        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

no, but i can take some this weekend.

its pretty wild inside: the main board has components on the top & bottom, there's a smaller board for the control buttons, and there are even smaller boards for the input & output jacks.

Comment

I assumed the DC would have to be SMT, just too much going on in there to fit that many thru hole components in the box, not to mention SMT stuff is populated and soldered by robots.

It's made in Japan, probably by the same robots that would have put it together if it were made in Taiwan.

I'm still a Boss fanboy, I've just been in product development long enough to know how it works and understand the costs involved. Yes, it probably costs Boss less than $30 to make the pedal (that may be high), but it still has to go through a lot of hands to get to you and everybody has to have a cut to stay in business.

Comment

Here is a good clip to hear(p.i.) the old vs new metalzone. This doesn't really make me dislike the original. I like both and both modes, just different.
                              The Waza custom mode would certainly cut better in a mix or live band scenario.

Last edited by dave74; 11-01-2018, 04:34 AM.

Comment

CSG comparison of the new vs old zones:

Comment

Working...
                                X