Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HX Stomp - this might be it

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    I'm liking the stock cabs in the Stomp better than I do in my Helix Rack. Maybe it's just in my head, who knows. Or maybe it's because I'm willing to compromise in order to conserve blocks.
    Thanks for your review.

So if you use the stock cab it doesn't take an extra block? So it's just one block for amp+stock cab?

Re the buttons I'm not too concerned, worst case scenario you could plug in a Boss FS-7 and assign it to preset/bank up/down no?

Comment

Yes, you probably can add footswitches. I think you can add exp pedals that turn on when you go past a certain point (so you don't waste a footswitch to turn the wah on). So adding pedals makes the footprint bigger.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        Thanks for your review.

So if you use the stock cab it doesn't take an extra block? So it's just one block for amp+stock cab?

Re the buttons I'm not too concerned, worst case scenario you could plug in a Boss FS-7 and assign it to preset/bank up/down no?
        Yep, I'm using amp + cab blocks to save blocks.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Yes, you probably can add footswitches. I think you can add exp pedals that turn on when you go past a certain point (so you don't waste a footswitch to turn the wah on). So adding pedals makes the footprint bigger.
        Yep, you can add footswitches with the EXP jacks. In fact, the first thing I asked the Line 6 guys on the official Helix FB group was of a guy could add a couple switches and use them to scroll through the Snapshots. The answer was yes. So that would free up the other buttons for stomps or presets.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Another thought I've had is to write some 4CM patches, velcro the Stomp to the top of the amp, and run it remotely with a MIDI controller. A little Morningstar MC6 would be about ideal for this.

Comment

If you guys are worried about being able to run and switch >3 effects per preset, why not just get the Helix LT? Once you add external switches and an expression pedal you've probably lost half the price difference for something with less than half the processing power.

This really seems to be made for players who don't use many effects but want high-end amp modeling. For that type of player, this is an amazing deal, but if you're already hoping for more switches, you should get the LT.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
              If you guys are worried about being able to run and switch >3 effects per preset, why not just get the Helix LT? Once you add external switches and an expression pedal you've probably lost half the price difference for something with less than half the processing power.

This really seems to be made for players who don't use many effects but want high-end amp modeling. For that type of player, this is an amazing deal, but if you're already hoping for more switches, you should get the LT.

Well, imy case, it's all about the size. The other stuff I've talked about is me pondering what else a guy could do with it. And if I do end up building a pedalboard around it, I already have most of the pedals laying around I'd use. My Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah (I like it better than any of the ones in the Helix anyway), one of my Wylde Overdrives (I have a couple and it's not a model in the Helix), and maybe my Duncan 805 (also not in the Helix), and I already have a Voodoo Labs ISO5. The only thing I'd buy is a good rotary speaker pedal and maybe a mini POG. I don't like the rotary effects in the Helix, so I've been looking at buying a pedal for that anyway to throw in one of the loops of my Helix Rack and I don't like the Helix pitch effects, so that's what the mini POG would be for. I do have a POG2 in a loop of my Rack, but it's huge, and I really don't use the extra octaves it has very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post

I guess the sweet spot for me would be somewhere between the 3 buttons of the stomp and the 12 buttons of the lt

I'm happy with the 5 in my MS-3. I think the stomp with and FS6/7 Might do it.

Or the Gigboard with 4...

Comment

Well, imy case, it's all about the size. The other stuff I've talked about is me pondering what else a guy could do with it. And if I do end up building a pedalboard around it, I already have most of the pedals laying around I'd use. My Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah (I like it better than any of the ones in the Helix anyway), one of my Wylde Overdrives (I have a couple and it's not a model in the Helix), and maybe my Duncan 805 (also not in the Helix), and I already have a Voodoo Labs ISO5. The only thing I'd buy is a good rotary speaker pedal and maybe a mini POG. I don't like the rotary effects in the Helix, so I've been looking at buying a pedal for that anyway to throw in one of the loops of my Helix Rack and I don't like the Helix pitch effects, so that's what the mini POG would be for. I do have a POG2 in a loop of my Rack, but it's huge, and I really don't use the extra octaves it has very much.
                  Yeah that makes sense. I never had much of a pedal collection so I lack the reference point for most of the effects. The reverbs are all too much for me so I tend to use the legacy ones and dial the mix way down.

I love the amp models though. The 5150 (PV Panama), ENGL and modified JCM800 most of all. I've found the combined amp-cab blocks usually sound great right away. I'm only picky about the mics for some reason.

Comment

I would love try one of those HX Stomp with my Stealth Power amp, that would make a crazy small and portable rig. If only speaker cabs had wheels and a handle like modern luggage.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                      If only speaker cabs had wheels and a handle like modern luggage.
                      Someone *has* to be making those. That is just too good of an idea.

Comment

Helix Edit finally had an update to support the stomp and I got the Celestion IRs in. The Engl, Friedman, and Marshall amps all sound really good through them. Like, damn good. If I play the helix stomp out of the Yamaha HS8s, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. If anything, the setup is manageable and I'm not getting the cops called on me. Most of my presets still have a block or two missing, but I tend to go for simple setups. I got the bundle, so I'm waiting on the expression pedal. I'll probably be using that to control the gain on the amps for certain presets.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                          I would love try one of those HX Stomp with my Stealth Power amp, that would make a crazy small and portable rig. If only speaker cabs had wheels and a handle like modern luggage.
                          Honestly, I'm seriously considering a Line 6 Powercab Plus for my Stomp. Seems to me that it would be just about the handiest solution for jams and small gigs.

Comment

Honestly, I'm seriously considering a Line 6 Powercab Plus for my Stomp. Seems to me that it would be just about the handiest solution for jams and small gigs.
                            Another option is a PowerStage 170, and bringing the cab of your choice depending on the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Another option is a PowerStage 170, and bringing the cab of your choice depending on the gig.
                              It is, but by all accounts, the PC is loud enough to be heard over most drummers. Plus it has onboard speaker modeling and IR hosting that not only only frees up DSP in your modeler, the speaker models/IRs can be switched with MIDI, giving you a cab tailored to your liking for each preset. Plus, the direct out on the PC also gives you the same model/IR, except the with the models, they also have a modeled mic on them.

Comment

You guys are going to regret not just getting an lt for 200 more this thing is overpriced for 6 blocks, one gone with fx loop and another for external pedal usage, irs, cabs.

Knowing they have crap cabsims(compared to fractal) and distortions are a joke, there goes another block on eq that leaves you with maybe two effects.

This thing is just a cash grab with bad design. I don’t need something that small I am getting an lt and recording. That way I can bypass it’s crap distortion with my own pedals and make up for its crap other things that they are too lazy to make A+ like fractal it will get by

But six. No thanks what a joke

I’m even thinking save 200 more from an lt and just get a fractal ax8. And then u gotta worry about redneckinf it’s settings into direct recording. Why can’t they just make one thing that does everything great. Oh yeah they do but they are thousands of dollars.
                                Last edited by B00B-screamer; 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X