NPD: Mosky Audio Golden Horse - the $16.95 Klone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Mosky Audio Golden Horse - the $16.95 Klone

I saw this wanna be Klone new for $16.95 on eBay and I couldn’t resist. A few weeks later it showed up. My bar was obviously very low, just turning on was a win [emoji4]

The good: it actually sounds good! Frankly on the same ballpark of the other Klones I have owned or played. I think they go more to staying true to the original sound while I generally prefer small tweaks for variety.

The bad: it feels like it’s super picky with power supplies. I haven’t tried with my “good one” that I have on my pedalboard but with the couple I had lying around (a no name and a Boss PSA-2) it was quite noisy. Not hiss noisy but power supply noisy, like hum. Even not daisy chained. This didn’t happen even with the SF.

The super bad: how can the centaur in the logo try to launch a battle axe like that?

Overall I would say it’s an awesome backup and a great way to try the Klone flavor and see if you like it.

Re: NPD: Mosky Audio Golden Horse - the $16.95 Klone

I still don't understand the appeal of the Klon. I don't want a pedal that barely does anything.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

It’s just another OD flavor. If in you rig a TS is too middy, you can try this. If in your rig a flat boost doesn’t do it, you can try this. I see it a something in between those two. It’s a got a particular EQ that may work.

You’ve tried one?

Comment

Open it up and see if you can figure out why it's humming
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          Open it up and see if you can figure out why it's humming
          My guess is that it’s because it was $17 lol

Good point. I’ll try with the better power supply first. I assumed it was a SMD but I’ll give it a try.

Edit: I just plugged it in on my board with my TrueTone CS7 and I had no issues.

I still opened it for the funsies

Pretty much what you would expect. Note though how on the left GND is not soldered. If it still had hummed I would have tried to connect it to the other GND or the grounds I assume the power jack and sockets have.
          Last edited by Blille; 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            I still don't understand the appeal of the Klon. I don't want a pedal that barely does anything.
            Have you ever played one? It's a super versatile overdrive with plenty of gain and volume on tap. It can be a clean boost, or you can run it pretty dirty. The mid hump also varies depending on how high the drive is set, so it's possible to do the nearly clean boost without obnoxious honky mids.

My only regret is selling my extra Tumnus to the OP. My primary lives on my board and it'd be nice to have another for recording or when I'm using one of my other amps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              My only regret is selling my extra Tumnus to the OP. My primary lives on my board and it'd be nice to have another for recording or when I'm using one of my other amps.
              The Tumnus is small enough to carry it with you anywhere! It even has a little bag

Comment

Can’t beat the price.

Comment

When all this mad "smoutique" stuff started everybody was making a TS style pedal with even more smoooth and correct chiiippsssshh and deathray diodes and all of that.....
                  Now everybody and their deceased mum is making a bloody Klon Siberia in spades.....cheap and ready to get bought in an instant...it is a cult of mad followers

Comment

You know - it really gets back to your purpose IMO. If you are an Uber-tone seeker, I get it. If you are recording, I get it. But if you are a road vet, there is a reason Boss shows up on those boards. And if all you want is everything, or a simple backup....there is a place for the mini-me Klon as well.

There is something for everyone. But as a practical guy, if you think anyone in the audience knows that you are using an original Kwon vs that....you don't the audience as well. I've never played a Kwon, and never care to. But if that's your thing, cool. I have a $200 tremolo, so...I get it.

I also have a little Mooer Solo, that is a Suhr Riot clone. Is it a Riot? of course not. But it is damn decent sounding distortion that sounds great overall, especially for what it is, and no one EVER said it sounded bad....guitar players included, and a few asked what it was.

What's your budget? What's your purpose? What is it that does it for YOU?

Mosky has a lot of good press. May have to check this out...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X