DigiTech Solo XT Looper Pedal Introduces Hiss Into the Audio Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DigiTech Solo XT Looper Pedal Introduces Hiss Into the Audio Signal

Thought I was imagining this at first, but no. Guitar straight into the Solo XT pedal then out of pedal into front panel of amp (a Boss Katana, which is solid state and a very quiet amp). Power supply for the Solo XT is the included wall transformer plugged straight into the wall. With guitar plugged in and loop not even engaged there's noticeably more hiss in the signal, especially when you strum the guitar and let it fade. Plug the guitar straight into the amp and hiss is gone. Is that the nature of these kind of digital pedals? What else might be causing the hiss when plugged into the pedal?

Re: DigiTech Solo XT Looper Pedal Introduces Hiss Into the Audio Signal

Does it have a battery option? Try that and a different adapter. It may just be a slightly noisy AD/DA converters.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Does it have a battery option? Try that and a different adapter. It may just be a slightly noisy AD/DA converters.
      No battery option for the DigiTech Solo XT Looper. It comes with its own power adapter. If the AD/DA converters are responsible for the hiss, why would there be hiss even when no loop plays and the guitar is only passing through the pedal? I'm talking about a hiss that is audible only when you strum the guitar, and it's most noticeable when let chord fade out.

The AD/DA converters would be active even if the guitar only passes through with no loop playing or being recorded?

Comment

I use the Jamman Solo and what goes in comes out...no additional hiss.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
          No battery option for the DigiTech Solo XT Looper. It comes with its own power adapter. If the AD/DA converters are responsible for the hiss, why would there be hiss even when no loop plays and the guitar is only passing through the pedal? I'm talking about a hiss that is audible only when you strum the guitar, and it's most noticeable when let chord fade out.

The AD/DA converters would be active even if the guitar only passes through with no loop playing or being recorded?
          After the guitar fades the hiss fades too?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes. The hiss fades eventually. But I can't understand why. There's no loop playing. If I pull the guitar out of the Solo XT and plug directly into the amp I hear no hiss when I strum the guitar.

I sent DigiTech support an email on this. Hoping to get a reply soon.

Comment

Don't plug it into the wall. That introduces a ground loop if the wiring is off in your house. Get a power bar and see if that fixes the issue. One that has isolated plugs. That, or get a better wall wart.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
                Yes. The hiss fades eventually. But I can't understand why. There's no loop playing. If I pull the guitar out of the Solo XT and plug directly into the amp I hear no hiss when I strum the guitar.

I sent DigiTech support an email on this. Hoping to get a reply soon.
                Unfortunately Harman basically gutted their Digitech/DOD division a few months ago. If you are on The Gear Page, send a private Message to Tom Kramm (I think his screen name is Tom Van Kramm or something like that), he was the head of the division and might be able to help you out.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
                  Don't plug it into the wall. That introduces a ground loop if the wiring is off in your house. Get a power bar and see if that fixes the issue. One that has isolated plugs. That, or get a better wall wart.
                  --It's a hiss, and not constant. Only when I play. Ground noise is distinctly different from hiss.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Unfortunately Harman basically gutted their Digitech/DOD division a few months ago. If you are on The Gear Page, send a private Message to Tom Kramm (I think his screen name is Tom Van Kramm or something like that), he was the head of the division and might be able to help you out.
                    Thanks. I will check it out.
                    Last edited by Petros; 10-21-2018, 01:06 AM. Reason: Sent him an email at the forum. Waiting for reply.

Comment

Hiss that follows the envelope of the guitar sound I would expect is low sample rate AD/DA conversion or other processing that is mucking the sound.

Does it have a spec sheet detailing its processing and bit rates and all that?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Hiss that follows the envelope of the guitar sound I would expect is low sample rate AD/DA conversion or other processing that is mucking the sound.

Does it have a spec sheet detailing its processing and bit rates and all that?
                        Yes. 24 bit A/D/A conversion, loop storage is 44.1 kHz 16-bit (stereo) uncompressed WAV file

--But as I said the guitar signal appears to be "mucking the sound" with hiss even before the loop is recorded. Simply plugging into the Solo XT appears to introduce hiss, but not a constant hiss. Only when the guitar is played can you hear it, whether you record a loop or not.
                        Last edited by Petros; 10-21-2018, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Almost seems like an internal noise gate, doesn’t it? I’ll be interested to hear what Tom says.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

DigiTech Solo XT Looper Pedal Introduces Hiss Into the Audio Signal

That’s part of what I meant by processing. The device seems to be processing the guitar signal even when it’s not doing any effects.

If the guitar signal doesn’t have hiss by itself straight to the amp, then it isn’t the guitar signal. The hiss is coming from the Digitech.

Comment

Reply from Tom Von Kramm @ Gear Page:

"I no longer work for DigiTech, they laid me off back in June. Normally I wouldn't mind helping someone out, but I've never encountered your issue before, so your best bet is contacting Harman Tech Support."

I know of at least one other example on the Internet someone is talking about "hiss" with a DigiTech looper pedal, but it's not the JamMan Solo XT. It's the JamMan Express.

Comment

Working...
                              X