NPD Donner Boost Killer WIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Donner Boost Killer WIN!

I only got to mess around with this little guy for a few minutes (family stuff, etc) but it ROCKS, and here is why: I can set it so my guitar sounds exactly the same with it on and off. Zero difference. 100% transparent. And then...I can turn the volume up. It is exactly what the other dozen or so boost pedals I have tried over the past couple years promised but failed to deliver: my sound, but "more" of it! And then the gain knob allows me to dial in more grit (into a clean amp) or more compression into a crunchy amp.
    Why doesn't every boost on the market have a bass and treble control? They should!
    My only complaint is that it's a mini. I do not use pedalboard so I prefer a bigger box and especially because there are 4 pots crammed onto the face of this little fella. They feel pretty fragile. I don't know if I should buy another one for $20 as a backup, or just have it cloned in a bigger format if it ever dies on me? Regardless, it is the best twenty bucks I have spent in a long time!

Re: NPD Donner Boost Killer WIN!

It's a clone of the RC Booster. Which is bigger, but also more money obviously...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Really? I tried one of those at a shop a year or two ago and hated it! And I bought the Caline clone ("orange something") and didn't like it either. Flipped it almost immediately.
      Joke is on me I guess!
      Either that, or there are slight value differences that somehow add up nicely with my rig.

Comment

VFE focus is sort-of like that but without the clipping stage, so it doesn't do overdrive on it's own, although you could always use the insane level to goose the amp.

With the filters wide open and the level near unity volume it basically does the "same tone and feel just a bit more of it",,,,and then you can also use the filters to squeeze the spectrum and make it more of a mid-boost.

The more filtering you apply the more level you must add and vise-versa to stay near or just above unity volume.

Comment

I looked at the Xotic website today and it turns out I had tried an AC boost, not an RC boost. And the Caline was a BB Preamp clone. So somehow I danced around the RC but never tried one.
          Played the Donner a half hour or so tonight. Still dig it. May pony up for a real RC eventually.

Comment

Coolness

Love my Mooer Pure Boost. Never tried to do a pure transparent match....could be interesting.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Coolness

Love my Mooer Pure Boost. Never tried to do a pure transparent match....could be interesting.
              It was the very first thing I did, because my last boost pedal so totally altered the eq no matter what.
              Boost Killer with volume around 1 o'clock, bass around 10 or 11 o'clock, gain around 9 o'clock and treble at 1 or so = exact same sound on or off. Could not tell without looking. Then turn up volume and/or gain = niceness and smiles.

Comment

Working...
              X