Will this pedal work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will this pedal work

So if you say there are problems with passive circuits, lets say I only take two inputs and one output, cause thats mostly what I’m after would it be possible with just a normal a/b/y circuit and then using those two outputs as though they are the inputs and the input as the output

Comment

After a little thought, passively combining 2 inputs into one output can create problems. Say it's 2 guitars, one with passive pickups and one with active pickups, there will be a huge imbalance, or even 2 passive pickups with different outputs. It's really not a good idea, yes, you can combine the signals, but as Darg said, it will be a mess.

Comment

Will this pedal work

Given the feedback and the option to buy things that work for sure, why do you want to build it?

If it’s to save money, I don’t think you will. If it’s to learn you may be better off building a simple boost or OD.

I asked a similar question not too long ago:
        I used to use a passive summer then I upgraded to an LS-2. I frankly didn’t see much difference. When is it ok to use a passive summer (with resistors, not just a Y cable) and when is it necessary to use active?

Check post #4

Comment

Yes I first started with looking at just buying a similar pedal, but it would cost much more, because I live in South Africa and if you buy it from a local store the added shipping to and fro and the inport taxes makes it very expensive. If you buy it from America though the price is good, but the SA customs works like the packet goes in and it goes out but in one of the workers pockets. A lit of my inports have been stolen, thus I would rather try to build one for myself since it would work out quite cheaper. I also want to maybe make a couple for friends of mine who are like brothers and both play so that they dont have to buy their own amps and pedals and all those stuff.

Comment

Devastone you say there would be huge inbalances. Could you like add a volume control over each input to like balance it out.

Comment

A passive ABY can be used either way. 2 inputs to 1 output or 1 input to 2 outputs. You could probably add a pot/pots to the box for volume control but you do have volume control on the guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by DR13 View Post
                Devastone you say there would be huge inbalances. Could you like add a volume control over each input to like balance it out.
                I think that will just load down the signal. A long time ago (lots of those in my life at this point) I took lessons with a guy and we both plugged into the inputs on his Fender amp, my guitar had EMGs and he had passives (a Duncan Holdsworth IIRC) and my EMG would walk all over his passives because of the impedance mismatch.

So, I don't know, and A/B will work fine for switching the effect or whatever is plugged into them to the output, it's when you try to mix them that things get weird. So, what are you trying to mix?

Comment

Working...
                X