First ever (traditional) pedal board -need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever (traditional) pedal board -need help

I’ve been playing semi professionally since I was about 16...but I always went the route of modeling amps (vox Vt+) or most recently, effects processer (line 6 Helix). Long story short, I ditched the helix for an all tube 50watt Laney combo and need to build up A board. I play in a gigging classic rock band and a stoner/ Doom project. I don’t use a ton of effects and my amp
    Has built in reverb that sounds really good. I need a Overdrive to use as a dirty boost and delay.

Possible OD list-
    -EHX east river drive
    -EHX soul food
    -boss Super overdrive

Possible delay-
    -MXR carbon copy
    -MXR Echoplex
    -TC flashback 2
    sigpic the Perfect stack is a good combo on a stand

Re: First ever (traditional) pedal board -need help

Consider the 805 Overdrive and the Vapor Trail Analog Delay.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I currently own the Flashback 2 and the EHX East River Drive.

The East River Drive is a pretty straightforward Tube Screamer. I've heard people say that Mike at Analogman calls it the most faithful recreation of a vintage TS808, but I haven't double checked whether he actually did say that or not.

It sounds good recorded got lead parts and works well as a boost but I personally prefer my Boo Instruments KC for a dirty boost, which is a Klon style drive. With my rig, I found the EHX to be kind of 'cold' and 'harsh' sounding whereas the KC in much sweeter with a less massive mid boost - but if you like TS pedals you'll probably love it, graphic looks great, too...

I can't say enough good things about the TC Flashback 2! Outstanding pedal, sounds amazing and the mash function is brilliant. Highly recommended. For a reference point, my other Delay is the Keeley Caverns V2 and I'd say the flashback sounds every bit as good.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Comment

For a boost to push the amp, the EHX ERD (or any TS/SD1) is likely the best choice IMHO.

Comment

For a more classic rock tone OD, I would also try the Xotix BB Pre-Amp. If you want to hear what it sounds like, check out the Wildwood Guitars videos where Greg Koch demos a bunch of guitars for them. If memory serves, that's the OD he uses on those vids.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Carbon Copy, unless you are doing very high gain stuff. I personally find that Analog delays muddy up those signals.
          Last edited by Old Guy; 11-13-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
            For a more classic rock tone OD, I would also try the Xotix BB Pre-Amp. If you want to here what it sounds like, check out the Wildwood Guitars videos where Greg Koch demos a bunch of guitars for them. If memory serves, that's the OD he uses on those vids.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Carbon Copy, unless you are doing very high gain stuff. I personally find that Analog delays muddy up those signals.
            I'm also a big fan of the BB Preamp, should have mentioned that above. Great pedal [emoji2938]

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 on the bb preamp.

Comment

For a more classic rock tone OD, I would also try the Xotix BB Pre-Amp. If you want to here what it sounds like, check out the Wildwood Guitars videos where Greg Koch demos a bunch of guitars for them. If memory serves, that's the OD he uses on those vids.

Almost $200 for an overdrive...yeah, no. I’m just looking for something that will boost my signal and treble and add I tiny bit more dirt. If I were trying to build my tone with the pedal, it would be a different story. That being said, I played a soul food yesterday and LOVED it. Did just what I wanted at half the price.

But I appreciate your insight on analog delay

Comment

Originally posted by King Halt View Post
                  Almost $200 for an overdrive...yeah, no. I’m just looking for something that will boost my signal and treble and add I tiny bit more dirt. If I were trying to build my tone with the pedal, it would be a different story. That being said, I played a soul food yesterday and LOVED it. Did just what I wanted at half the price.
                  Yeah, I get that for sure.

You can get a Tube Screamer used on Reverb for about $70. Also, you may just want to look at boost pedals, rather than OD which usually add some color to your signal. Straight Boost pedals tend not to, but they drive your amp into its own OD.

Comment

Yeah, I get that for sure.

You can get a Tube Screamer used on Reverb for about $70. Also, you may just want to look at boost pedals, rather than OD which usually add some color to your signal. Straight Boost pedals tend not to, but they drive your amp into its own OD.
                    Boosters (and distortion pedals for that mater ) never really got me going. At 50 watts, I find my amp has a ton more volume than I probably would ever need. I figure booster would just make it louder, not really go into natural clipping teratory associated with pushing an amp to its limits.

I’m also looking at new gear because I plan to pay installments I’m AMS to get me going. Later down the road I’ll cherry pick some choice used gear

Comment

Originally posted by King Halt View Post
                      Boosters (and distortion pedals for that mater ) never really got me going. At 50 watts, I find my amp has a ton more volume than I probably would ever need. I figure booster would just make it louder, not really go into natural clipping teratory associated with pushing an amp to its limits.

I’m also looking at new gear because I plan to pay installments I’m AMS to get me going. Later down the road I’ll cherry pick some choice used gear
                      Boosters are used to push preamp into clipping. They work same regardless of power amp wattage.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Boosters are used to push preamp into clipping. They work same regardless of power amp wattage.
                        I was going to say the same. You really won’t get much volume unless running it in the fx loop.

Comment

For this I am using this :

TS808 + Vapor Trail

And both would be my desert island pedals, together with the FuzzFace (provided you have 9V supply on the island )
                          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Ok,Here’s what I got
                            Line 6 wireless, boss Tu-2 tuner, tc electronic sentry, EHX soul food, MXR micro flanger, EHX canyon delay

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                              For this I am using this :

TS808 + Vapor Trail

And both would be my desert island pedals, together with the FuzzFace (provided you have 9V supply on the island )
                              The TS 808 is a great pedal, but much too expensive for my budget and apication...same for the vapor trail...as for the fuzz face, I find it one of the worst fuzz effects out there...but that’s my opinion. If you make it work and enjoy it, to each their own

Comment

Working...
                              X