SD-2 Dual Overdrive Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD-2 Dual Overdrive Mods?

Has anybody here tried any mods for the Boss SD-2? I was looking at getting one to serve as a duel overdrive for my emergency pedal board (so versatility is more important than being able to nail any specific tone or genre) and figured it was also a good chance to try out some mods.

I am most tempted to try the mods included in Bryan Wamplers book, but cannot find any sound clips to judge for myself. What mods have you guys tried for the SD-2 that you found in general improved the tone or function of one or both "sides" of this pedal. I figure getting it close to a KoT would be optimal, but the darned thing hasn't even shipped yet so I wouldn't know if it were possible.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

It sounds like you have the mods but no experience with them. I have no experience either with the SD-2. But if you do need the mods, lmk.

Comment

Re: SD-2 Dual Overdrive Mods?

I've never considered modding my SD-2.
      I use the overdrive side for boosting an amp, and the distortion side is surprisingly righteous for a Boss pedal. Probably the best sounding Boss distortion I've ever heard.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Not really a mod, but a cool undocumented feature - get an expression pedal and you can use it to blend the 2 modes.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
          Not really a mod, but a cool undocumented feature - get an expression pedal and you can use it to blend the 2 modes.
          How do you hook up the expression pedal?. I have one of those pedals somewhere in my vast pile of pedals I've accumulated, but don't remember if it has an expression input.
          Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
            How do you hook up the expression pedal?. I have one of those pedals somewhere in my vast pile of pedals I've accumulated, but don't remember if it has an expression input.
            Al
            Read a cool thread over at StompBoxZone the other day about using a potentiometer into the remote switch on the Boss SD-2 to have both channels on at the same time. Tried it out today (really simple, just plugged in a volume pedal) and am really impressed! Already the SD-2 was a cool little...

Last edited by Blille; 11-02-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Interesting, so it's better to use an expression pedal over a volume pedal?.
              Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                Interesting, so it's better to use an expression pedal over a volume pedal?.
                Al
                I’ve never tried it personally it looks like it depends on the pedal.

Comment

What does it not do that you want it to do? I’m kind of regretting selling mine, I might get another. It would be cool to mod the crunch side to be more Tube Screamer-ish. That and a JB-2 would be a ridiculously versatile compact drive section.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I was actually looking at some of these mods:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181103-160119_Drive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5810360

I don't know what "tube tone" is, but I might be down to try it out if it combats the fake, tinnyness of the crunch channel. The lead sounds pretty decent so far, but it could be better, I might not do the "adds bass" mod on the lead channel, but I'll do it on the crunch channel if it tightens it up a bit.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                    X