Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoplex: solid state vs tube models

Hi everybody,

Despite being definitely a non-pedal guy, I recently discovered that I love tape echoes! Growing up I always dreamed of owning an Echoplex, I'm a big Joe Walsh and Tommy Bolin fan and the Echoplex always seemed like the icing on the cake. Anyway, a couple years ago I bought an EP3 on ebay which needed a major restoration (not an easy task considering I'm based in Italy_I ended up shipping it to the USA where it got serviced properly); I'm happy to say that I'm now using it almost all the time. I mainly play rockabilly/swing/country music and the EP3 just rocks, I love the way the preamp fattens up the dry guitar sound and even compresses it a bit, and the echo repeats are really amazing, the whole thing makes a delay pedal seem like a toy in comparison (imho).

Anyhow, has any of you had the chance to play with a tube model? I love my EP3 but I'm kind of curious as to know how it compares to a tube unit. Is the tube Echoplex cleaner sounding? Or maybe the exact opposite, a lot warmer than the solid state unit?

Moreover, I know there are some differences between the black top EP3s and the later silver tops too. The silver top EP3 sounds a lot brighter, at least based on the recording I've heard. What's your take on it?

Re: Echoplex: solid state vs tube models

When it first arrived:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	5810430

Now

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181109_181651561.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5810431

Comment

I'm loving this lately. Even simulates tape warble. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	5810438
      Last edited by ThisDyingSoul76; 11-13-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Always wanted to try out one.

Not sure about tube models compare, but lots of classic tones are made with that solid state.

I have Dunlop EP 103 delay, which sounds great. Having not heard original in person I can't say how close, but great on it's own. Definitely tape sounding. It's annoyingly clunky and cheap feeling to use though.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I always thought the tube models were the ones that were more coveted, but these days I see more interest in the SS versions. I think most of the classic tones were made using the tube models, but haven't seen a lot of info on which type each player used.
          Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
            I always thought the tube models were the ones that were more coveted, but these days I see more interest in the SS versions. I think most of the classic tones were made using the tube models, but haven't seen a lot of info on which type each player used.
            Al
            That really depends on what era of classic tones you're looking at. Based on when it was introduced, I'd wager that most of the classic Echoplex tones from the 70s (Zeppelin, Rush, etc) were an EP-3.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              That really depends on what era of classic tones you're looking at. Based on when it was introduced, I'd wager that most of the classic Echoplex tones from the 70s (Zeppelin, Rush, etc) were an EP-3.
              Yep. Blackmore used it as well.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
              X