What's your favourite reverb pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favourite reverb pedal?

I second the Boss RV-6. Own it, love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      In which case I'll repeat my suggestion of Ocean 11. That thing has got 11 mutha chumpin' kinds of reverb, including reverse reverb.
      You know, I can’t believe I haven’t tried it yet. What modes do you like best?

How’s the infinite?

Comment

I honestly just stick with the plain old spring setting, but the more niche effects on there sound like something out of a $200+ unit. I don't really care for the infinite mode, but that's because I don't go for the lush, spacey tones that this mode was intended for.

Another thing to consider is that each knob has a secondary function in most settings, so you actually have 5 different knobs and a variety of "modes" for each setting.
        Last edited by Chistopher; 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you are new to Reverb I would recommend (along with Ace) the TC Hall of Fame, lots of options to experiment with and you also download lots of artist toneprints from the TC electronic website. I've used one before and if I wasn't using a GT-1000 now, I would have a HoF.

The Oceans 11 or Boss RV-5 would be good runner ups, pretty much the same price but without the downloadable/software tweakable toneprints.

These are all around $150 new, should be able to find used ones on ebay/reverb for around $100.

Comment

Yeah the Hall of Fame mini or regular one will do all the regular reverbs you want, and a few strange ones. If you don't need all the control and space sounds of something like a Silver Lake, go for the cheap Mini, and velcro it to the back of your amp.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dave is picking the Mini because it is easy for him to lift....:

Something like an Ocean's 11 or the Cathedral are epic great Reverbs, but you have to really be in touch with your inner echo. They are deep pedals.

And that brings us to my personal all time holy of holies....you want amazeballs reverb? Reverb to out Fender classic Fender?

Peavey Valverb
              Last edited by Aceman; 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Dave is picking the Mini because it is easy for him to lift....:

Something like an Ocean's 11 or the Cathedral are epic great Reverbs, but you have to really be in touch with your inner echo. They are deep pedals.

And that brings us to my personal all time holy of holies....you want amazeballs reverb? Reverb to out Fender classic Fender?

Peavey Valverb
                'Every ounce counts' is my motto!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender-Vintage-Blackface-Amp-Amplifier-Footswitch-1960s-1965.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	5810469
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Ahhh - reverb. Tons of good choices these days. In the loop or after distortion almost always the right choice! The biggest issue, IMO, is do you have a favorite and just want some "on all the time or occasionally". Or are you really digging deep for just the right "ambiance' from track to track....

Some thoughts - and I am by no means up on the latest/greatest....

#1 The TC Hall Of Fame in full size or mini seems to be a no-brainer these days, especially with tone print. Full disclosure - never used it, but have heard it. Too much good press on all of those TC boxes to ignore.

#2 A personal fave of mine: Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay. A few reverbs, and a Delay, and reverb + delay! An oldie but a goody! Delay Reverb combo can be epic/awesome. Or just go for room/plate/hall...

#3 For basic set & forget reverb - I am a huge fan of the Uber-organic stylings of the EHX Holy Grail, or even better the Holy Grail Plus. These come in 'nano' size these days - meaning regular pedal size to most people. Great option for just plain old amp style spring - which is actually a lot of the reverb we all know/love anyway....

#4 Hard to hate on the Line6 Verbzilla. It's the Swiss Army box of Reverbs.
                    +1 for #3

That's exactly how I use reverb and Holy Grail is just perfect for that. I have big box version and it does hiss a bit, not at all enough to be a problem, but just to note.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

This comment is probably more for someone else reading this thread looking for pedals and not the OP -since it sounds like he's just tired of the one reverb sound he's got

I really like a love Reverb effects pedals for their quality, creativity and their versatility -amazing stuff out there by Boss, EHX, TC, Strymon etc...however, every time I fall in love with a sound by one and then later play heavy reverb through one of my Fenders spring tanks like a Deluxe or Twin I am still reminded of the indescribable quality that none of the pedals can quite faithfully reproduce perfectly as standing in front of a really good tank -if it is even trying to -I'm not saying it's even better in a sense, it's a different beautiful thing although it doesn't help that some of my best amps don't have a downstream FX loop which would undoubtably help.

So don't expect a reverb pedal to replace your desire or use of an on board tank at times (If you have a good spring tank like a Fender, Peavey, Vox etc) -instead expect it to vastly expand your toolkit for making new sounds.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I really like the TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, easy to use, and has a bunch of high-quality reverb types...

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          This comment is probably more for someone else reading this thread looking for pedals and not the OP -since it sounds like he's just tired of the one reverb sound he's got

I really like a love Reverb effects pedals for their quality, creativity and their versatility -amazing stuff out there by Boss, EHX, TC, Strymon etc...however, every time I fall in love with a sound by one and then later play heavy reverb through one of my Fenders spring tanks like a Deluxe or Twin I am still reminded of the indescribable quality that none of the pedals can quite faithfully reproduce perfectly as standing in front of a really good tank -if it is even trying to -I'm not saying it's even better in a sense, it's a different beautiful thing although it doesn't help that some of my best amps don't have a downstream FX loop which would undoubtably help.

So don't expect a reverb pedal to replace your desire or use of an on board tank at times (If you have a good spring tank like a Fender, Peavey, Vox etc) -instead expect it to vastly expand your toolkit for making new sounds.
                          It's funny because spring reverb sounds so unique exactly because it's so bad at replicate what it tries to replicate. But that's the sound guitarists are used to so we like it.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                            I really like the TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, easy to use, and has a bunch of high-quality reverb types...
                            The Trinity is nice too, basically a HoF with a few different stock sounds, Toneprint works the same on both.

Comment

Working...
                            X