Best Double-Tracking Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Double-Tracking Pedal

I am not impressed with any YouTube demos I've heard for the usual suspects - Could be I'm listening to bad demos, but is this idea even feasible? Any recommendations on a pedal that can do it?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Best Double-Tracking Pedal

I am not sure...I use my Fractal set up with another amp or cab panned to a different side of the stereo spectrum. I delay the signal by a few milliseconds. A Dimension pedal sort of does a doubling thing but not quite. You need a tonal change as well as a separation of the 2 signals, which makes it one of the harder things to do with a single pedal.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What don't you like? Keeley, TC, etc....all good products.

Or...do it the hard way; Split with a delay, dry or wet sound to a modulated chorus or detune or something.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think Mincer has it- the 'double track' I desire has a separation of the harmonic content of the notes in each 'track.' I don't just want a delay-like 'thick' effect. I want it to sound like two distinct guitars- think the second solo in King Diamond's 'Welcome Home' (or through a lot of 'Them,') the lead line in Alice In Chains 'The Whale and the Wasp' or Scorpions 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' lead lines.

Any box do that, or is it software & separate cab time?
        Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM.
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Maybe you're wanting an octave-up effect along with doubling,,,,like a harmonizer. (?)

The TC Mimiq (standard size) gets great reviews from those who have used it's stereo outputs to send the slightly varied signals to their own amp/cabs.
          I think it does simulate multiple players, up to three or four if I recall correctly. It varies pitch and timing in some crazy digital random manner.

Comment

I love the double track rhythm sound, especially with different amps & guitars. I don't pile on tons of identical rhythms though, as it takes away (to me) what else could be played. I don't really like the doubled solo thing either. Those Randy Rhodes triple tracked solos sound sloppy to me (and he wasn't a sloppy player) and reminds me of the 80s production style I don't like.

Comment

Part of the beauty of a doubled line is the variability in timing. No box does that. The delay between the lines varies by the player (or the repeat performance) one attack comes sooner/later, or spot on, the harmony is modulated because of tuning differences, etc.

I'll say this here and now - Duncan can cut me in later:

I want my double track box to have this:

1. A delay setting - with a range of variability, like 45ms +/-5 ms (or 10, or whatever)
              2. I want it to also have detune, like -3%, with variability also! like =/- .003%
              3. I want it to have an EQ mod option - so I need an active bass/mid/treble control to change the tone of the signal. +1 bass/-3mid/+3treble

THAT would make a bad@$$ doubler. Bonus points if it can have a little verb like the one pedal and a built in loop to give it a different distortion pedal tone also....like put clean in and then send signal one to main amp, and signal two through a Suhr Riot or something....

SUper bonus points if it can send an unaffected clean signal with a level control...
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Part of the beauty of a doubled line is the variability in timing. No box does that.
                until now..

It does actually mimic the sound of multi-tracked guitars quite well..

Unless the OP is talking about a harmonizer like Andy LaRocque uses..

Just bought myself a cheapie and it gets the job done quite nicely

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Mincer has it again - 'Cheesy & '80s' are probably what I am looking for. The Mimiq demo above seems more effective for chords but subtle for single lines. The harmonizer doesn't sound totally inaccurate. Looks cheap too?

Comment

yep .. $45 shipped from China
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Check out the Grand Canyon's Doubler Mode @4:55.

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

^Funny, for the doubler is a 'not quite a cover' of King Crimson's Frame by Frame. Some nice sounds in that pedal- I wish for the looper, they would have a true feedback control, instead of just the volume of the overdub or the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                          Check out the Grand Canyon's Doubler Mode @4:55.

Alright That may be it, would love to hear it with distortion too. Might have to search around for more videos...

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                            until now..

It does actually mimic the sound of multi-tracked guitars quite well..
                            That thing is perfect for multi-tracks in one shot,,,, or at a great live jam tool.
                            Were you the one saying it loses just a small bit of punch when shifting from effect off to on?

Was that soundcloud recorded running the pedal mono to a single amp/cab?
                            If so then I can only imagine how it does in stereo.
                            Scrolling through I think it sounds it's best when on only two tracks.
                            Last edited by dave74; 11-18-2018, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Obviously, best is subjective, but how I imitate a double tracked guitar is by using 2 different amps, EQ'd to be distinctly different, and an old Ibanez Delay III set to doubling mode.

In its simplest setup, this pedal splits the signal to the amps with each amp's channels controlling gain. Usually I'll set these so I can clean up with the volume knob.

If I want to go more complex, I use an ABY (I prefer this because my ABY can correct phasing issues between the two amps), a pedal switcher with 2 separate groupings of loops (1 for each amp). Split the signal before the switcher, amps set for a crunch that cleans up well. Each group of the switcher gets its own OD for a lead boost first in the signal path, one group has the wet output of the Ibanez Delay III last. Somewhere in the path after the OD's if I have a stereo effect I want to use like Chorus, I connect it to one loop in each group, I typically put a mono Reverb in the group going to the amp that's not receiving the delayed signal (I find it gets muddy if I put it on delayed amp). With one loop left in the "dry" amp, I'll usually toss on another modulation in mono for those times I only want modulation on one track - a univibe, phaser or Chorus/vibrato with a detune feature for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X