NDIYPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDIYPD

New DIY Pedal Day! I just finished my new LPB-1 clone. For some reason, I recently decided I need a clean boost pedal, so I'm going to build a few. The LPB-1 was first. Plenty of boost available, and it fattens up the tone, too. I'm not sure if I like that part of it yet, I might change it to a Screaming Bird if it turns out to be too thick. I need to give it a good workout at louder-than-bedroom volume first.

Here it is next to its older cousin, the Triangle Muff clone I built a few years ago (when EHX wasn't building a Triangle).

Next up: A Stratoblaster in mini-pedal form.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: NDIYPD

Wow! Very cool! I dig the stamped legends.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Those look great!

Comment

And here’s another; an Alembic Stratoblaster. That’s my last old Bell & Howell ‘scope knob. Flat olive paint left over from last year’s talkbox project. Kinda going for an old army-surplus look.
          Last edited by Rich_S; 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

Very cool.

Where do you get your smaller boxes?

I've always wanted to try a screaming bird myself but most reviews say the treble is ear splitting and unusable.

Comment

That’s an A-size “Tall” from Small Bear. It’s the same size as my MXR Phase 95 and Mooer Ana Echo. I think Small Bear them from Asia, because I don’t believe Hammond make a “Tall”.

The GGG page on the LPT-2 says the Screaming Bird is simply too bright. They offer suggestions for cap values to tame it, and provide a usable treble boost. Changing two caps is all it takes to turn an LPB into a Screaming Bird. After I have a chance to compare the LPB to my Stratoblaster, I might try substituting some cap values to brighten the LPB up a little bit.
              Last edited by Rich_S; 11-26-2018, 12:46 PM.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

Comment

Is the LPB transistor based? Just a single?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes, the LPB-1/2 is just a single transistor. GGG’s PC board has traces and component holes for a second, optional transistor stage, allowing various “improvements” that various DIYers have suggested over years. I just built it as a bone-stock LPB-1.
                  Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                  Rich Stevens

Comment

Cool, I’ve never used one. Does it start to crunch up at higher settings?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Those look great. Maybe I’ll build a fuzz rather than buy one.
                      "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Comment

PFD: It stays clean with my Tele, but I’ve read that the LPB-1 distorts (and not in a good way) if you drive it too hard with hot pickups. Check out the General Guitar Gadgets LPB-2 page, it has a nice compendium of LPB tribal knowledge, tips, and mods.

JB: Building fuzzes is fun. Many of them a really simple, especially silicon ones. Germanium fuzz circuits are a little fussier, and vintage germanium transistors can be a really deep rabbit hole. If built a couple of Fuzzrites, which are really simple. The Big Muff is a bit harder, but still pretty easy. The hardest part is figuring out which version to build. I’ve also built some Rats. Now that I’ve done a couple of stupid-simple boosters, I think my next is going to be a Foxx Tone Machine clone.
                        Last edited by Rich_S; 11-26-2018, 01:11 PM.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

Comment

I finished the Stratoblaster tonight, and it's great. It has the extra crispness the LPB-1 lacks, really maintains my Tele's Tele-ness.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
                          X