trying to figure out wah stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to figure out wah stuff

ok i have an old wah that im trying to find more info about. emailed dunlop a few days ago but im too impatient to wait for an answer.

has no 9v board mount it looks more like a headphone jack
    a cream color board
    pot says:
    Hotpotz-1
    100K-OHM 8820
    Type EJ
    Extra Life
    Mexico

SN: CB43055

and thats all i know. i think its 80s
    also i have no idea whats original and what may not be could be a replaced pot but idk. i got it from the trading post here a few months ago
    [shameless advertisement] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh1..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by BloodRose
    And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Re: trying to figure out wah stuff

That pot definitely isn't original; they're a pretty common aftermarket swap for either a failed pot or a different sound. Without a few pics, it's difficult to say what it is for sure.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      That pot definitely isn't original; they're a pretty common aftermarket swap for either a failed pot or a different sound. Without a few pics, it's difficult to say what it is for sure.
      what kinda pics needed?

And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Comment

Pics of the outside, bottom, and inside. does the PCB have any markings on it?

EDIT:
        The 1/8" power was introduced around 87-88 and by what I can tell the PCB was changed to "opaque tan" (cream?) in Mid 90's. See if the PCB has any 'REV -letter-' markings. I'm gunna guess Rev H.

dystrust: hotpotz1 we're stock at a few points. Unless there's something else in the spec that's telling you it's newer?
        Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 11-20-2018, 01:39 PM.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

bottom
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181120_150900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5810529
          insides

Name:	IMG_20181120_150934.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	5810530
          underside of PCB

Name:	IMG_20181120_151027.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	5810531

Comment

outsides

Name:	IMG_20181120_152235.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	5810532

Name:	IMG_20181120_152221.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	5810533

Name:	IMG_20181120_152311.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	5810534

Name:	IMG_20181120_152248.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	5810535

Comment

I have a wah from this time period that needs rebuilding too...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                I have a wah from this time period that needs rebuilding too...
                idk bout rebuilding mine. maybe an led and figure out why its running through batteries... also its alil stiff so some lube would help. but lube could help anything if you know what i mean... ba dum tss

Comment

I have an early 80s wah that needs to be rebuilt. I may buy a BYOC kit to replace the original parts, as even with a new pot mine sounds like there is white noise along with the wah sound.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks like a Crybaby to me.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      Pics of the outside, bottom, and inside. does the PCB have any markings on it?

EDIT:
                      The 1/8" power was introduced around 87-88 and by what I can tell the PCB was changed to "opaque tan" (cream?) in Mid 90's. See if the PCB has any 'REV -letter-' markings. I'm gunna guess Rev H.

dystrust: hotpotz1 we're stock at a few points. Unless there's something else in the spec that's telling you it's newer?
                      Cool. Never knew they used those as stock, but I've never been a big Crybaby fan.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I have an early 80s wah that needs to be rebuilt. I may buy a BYOC kit to replace the original parts, as even with a new pot mine sounds like there is white noise along with the wah sound.
                        It’s hard to justify that price when an original crybaby sells for $79.99
                        And the classic sells for &109.99.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          It’s hard to justify that price when an original crybaby sells for $79.99
                          And the classic sells for &109.99.
                          Yeah, I get that. But you do have a lot of options with the kit, and hey, they are fun to build. I built a compressor, trem, and Klon from them, and the kits were about the same price, but I got 3 awesome pedals out of that. There is also a kit for a Parapedal but it is $ (Iommi's wah). Nothing sounds like it, though.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's a $40 crybaby from 30ish years ago. You could buy the 10 cheapest Crybabys on Guitar Center's used website and I bet 4 of them would be this exact pedal in working condition. Then you could keep the cleanest one and return the rest for a refund. More fun, less work.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

A lot of the old ones are hard to find now, they got snatched up by the boutique builders that got cutoff from Dunlop and won’t tool their own. They are also popular with modders since the circuit is super easy to work on.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X