Fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuzz

Liking non-octave mode on an MXR Blue Box right now- other than that got briefly back into my Devi Ever pedals. The US is probably the best one (dynamic and with a severe gate) but the Bit (glitchy sounding but useable) and Soda Meiser (Muff-ish but more cutting/harsh)are great too.

I mostly use single coils with Fuzz (including Lace Sensors,) keeps things a bit more dynamic/gritty.
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-24-2018, 12:28 AM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

My love of fuzzfaces reawakened earlier this year when I got a Lovepedal Fuzz50. Only one knob on it, volume. Little box of fun has a real time-machine quality; with a Strat it's pure 60s magic. Not dense like a Muff. Complex, yes, but never congested. Wild & unruly - exactly what a fuzz should be - it rips and roars and gives lovely feedback even at moderate volumes. Being a fuzzface it also cleans up beautifully. Roll the volume on the guitar way back and you get classic live-Jimi semicleans. Brings a big grin to my face whenever I kick it on.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        fuzzface. analogman germanium sunface is what i use. they have a few different transistor options, i had the red dot but any of the germaniums that ive tried have been great sounding and clean up well. they are temperature sensitive though. a silicon fuzzface is more stable but i dont like the tone as much usually
        I agree with Jeremy !

And with the FF or pedals with similar circuit (Sunface...) you will even increase yout touch sensitivity if you roll down the volume knob on your Strat. This is incredible !
        (Ah sorry somebody just say that)

Note that the Muff has four transistors but the FuzzFace, the Vox Fuzz, etc. have only two. It is quite different.
        Last edited by Francois; 11-24-2018, 07:10 AM.
        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
          I agree with Jeremy !

And with the FF or pedals with similar circuit (Sunface...) you will even increase yout touch sensitivity if you roll down the volume knob on your Strat. This is incredible !
          (Ah sorry somebody just say that)

Note that the Muff has four transistors but the FuzzFace, the Vox Fuzz, etc. have only two. It is quite different.
          And the Muff has diodes to clip, it’s more of a distortion/hybrid than a pure fuzz.
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-24-2018, 08:27 AM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Speaking of fuzz/distortion hybrid, anybody has tried the Catalinbread Katzenkönig ?
            They merged the Tone Bender circuit with the output section of a RAT... ("the rat tail" )

I haven't tried it yet but I am interested.
            Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I posted the wrong video clip. I’ll try to find a better example, but I think it’s clear a Fuzz face is what I’m after.

Are any of the cheap ones worth checking out? By cheap, I mean the Dunlop stuff for under $100 used.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I posted the wrong video clip. I’ll try to find a better example, but I think it’s clear a Fuzz face is what I’m after.

Are any of the cheap ones worth checking out? By cheap, I mean the Dunlop stuff for under $100 used.
                The Hendrix one is a killer silicon Fuzz Face. The Bonamassa is a great one for low gain or humbuckers. The red one is decent, but pretty wooly. I’m not sure I’d use only the Fuzz Face straight into a clean Super Reverb. Philip Sayce gets good tones but his Super is set to ear bleeding levels. Sometimes I stack a Fuzz Face into an overdrive into a clean Fender. The OD rounds off the highs and pushes the midrange a little.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

ive heard good things about the bonamassa, ej, and new hendrix fuzzfaces from dunlop but have no real experience with them

Comment

I heard they sound good but make everyone mad by not having a 9v adaptor plug-in and not fitting on a board well.

Comment

every germanium fuzzface ive tried sounds best with a cheap non-alkaline battery

Comment

The guts of this one are a vintage spec germanium Fuzz Face. It's one if the best fuzzes I've bought. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	5810568

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          The Hendrix one is a killer silicon Fuzz Face. The Bonamassa is a great one for low gain or humbuckers. The red one is decent, but pretty wooly. I’m not sure I’d use only the Fuzz Face straight into a clean Super Reverb. Philip Sayce gets good tones but his Super is set to ear bleeding levels. Sometimes I stack a Fuzz Face into an overdrive into a clean Fender. The OD rounds off the highs and pushes the midrange a little.
                          I did the pull V1 and swap it into the PI on my Super trick for earlier breakup, and it’s out in the garage currently, so I can run it at 5 or 6. Even with singles, it’s pretty hairy. Philip Sayce is a good example of the fuzz tone I like.

So you’re saying fuzz then OD? Heard Brian Wampler talk about od into fuzz. Tried it with the Big Muff, but as we’ve established, that’s not the sound I’m after.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                            I heard they sound good but make everyone mad by not having a 9v adaptor plug-in and not fitting on a board well.
                            The minis all have standard 9V power inputs, have standard in/out arrangement, have LEDs and are pretty small. The Hendrix and J.B. are the same circuit as the big ones, except they use SMT resistors.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              I did the pull V1 and swap it into the PI on my Super trick for earlier breakup, and it’s out in the garage currently, so I can run it at 5 or 6. Even with singles, it’s pretty hairy. Philip Sayce is a good example of the fuzz tone I like.

So you’re saying fuzz then OD? Heard Brian Wampler talk about od into fuzz. Tried it with the Big Muff, but as we’ve established, that’s not the sound I’m after.
                              Sayce pushes his Super with a Tube Screamer, Klon, Ge Fuzz Face, Si Fuzz Face and Octavia. If you’re getting it to that level, a Fuzz Face should work great. Another killer option are the Fulltone ‘69 mkII and ‘70. You can get them blem for pretty reasonable and they are great Fuzzes.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying out a few FF-circuit fuzzes.

Now, here's some more fuzzy goodness:

Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 11-24-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X