Fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuzz

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

One quirk of fuzzface circuits is that they work best if they're first in line. They interact directly with the guitar pickups; that's a big part of their beautiful touch sensitivity and cleanup. Putting other pedals between FF and guitar can degrade the feel and the sound quite noticeably.

If you must run something else in front of a fuzzface, make SURE its a true-bypass design and avoid anything with a buffer.

I do agree that if you're running a bright sparkly clean tone, an OD pedal will mellow the highs a bit. Pedals with a bit of mid boost tend to work well with Strats. If a TS type is too humped for your taste, the klone types offer a milder-but-still-warming mid character. I like the Mythical OD a lot.

Personally I love the Kanji overdrive with a Strat; it's rich, liquid and and amplike.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

You also might check out La Super Rica, which seems to fix many problems using a fuzz creates.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here's a really good demo of the Duncan fuzz:

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              The Hendrix one is a killer silicon Fuzz Face. The Bonamassa is a great one for low gain or humbuckers. The red one is decent, but pretty wooly. I’m not sure I’d use only the Fuzz Face straight into a clean Super Reverb. Philip Sayce gets good tones but his Super is set to ear bleeding levels. Sometimes I stack a Fuzz Face into an overdrive into a clean Fender. The OD rounds off the highs and pushes the midrange a little.
              I have the square box Hendrix Band of Gypsies fuzz, its pretty responsive. I think for this anything in the Tonebender/Fuzz Face family would be good.
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Axis bold as Love and the first Jimi Hendrix Experience album are all germanium FF, Band of Gypsis is all silicon, but in Electric Ladyland ?
                Germanium also ? There was no silicon Arbiter FuzzFace yet ?
                Last edited by Francois; 11-28-2018, 07:46 AM.
                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

quoi?

Comment

Sorry I corrected my typo.

Hendrix has something like 6 FuzzFaces (They said "halv of dozen") because there could be some inconsistency in the matching of Ge transistors and so he could pick up the best ones.
                    Did he already had a silicon one when he recorded Electric Ladyland and used both type of fuzz box (Ge / Si) ?
                    Maybe at that time all he had had Ge transistors (?)

Comment

Whatever he's using on the slow "Voodoo Chile" is pretty much it to my ears.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	461813B7-5E53-443F-A16D-7BB661403B02.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	5810603
                        I asked my wife for this one for Christmas. It’s made by Cast Engineering, who make high quality stuff. There are some great demo videos out there, but think Jimi tone. It looks pretty cool in the videos.
                        Last edited by mojosman; 11-29-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I have been using the Morley Cliff Burton Fuzz for the past year and absolutely love it. Very loose and organic sounding. It has great dynamics and responds to touch and attack very well.

Comment

I like the Gypsy Haze sound.

Comment

Working...
                            X