banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

    Just did it and so far spectacular.

  • #2
    Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

    I think it depends on whether it is true bypass and if you decide to toggle it on and off.
    While it’s on you would see the benefits....off, the tone suck (if it’s not TB).

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

      True bypass would only matter when the EQ is off correct ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

        Yes it would, and honesty...no big deal if it's not TB.

        EQ in the loop gives you more control IMO, it's also better for clean volume boosts vs the front.

        EQ in the front for shaping more what your guitar is doing and what the amp will see, EQ in the loop for cleaner tone shaping and more like having switchable EQ on the amp if that makes sense.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

          Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          I think it depends on whether it is true bypass and if you decide to toggle it on and off.
          While it’s on you would see the benefits....off, the tone suck (if it’s not TB).


          Why does everyone assume a buffered bypass is automatically a tone suck? It could be neutral or even beneficial depending on the make, style, location to the amp, cable paths, pickup type, and what is upstream feeding it and what it's feeding downstream. It could completely recover or dress your tone in ways not possible without.

          This whole true bypass religion is silly. It's all about using both for their advantages.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

            Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            Why does everyone assume a buffered bypass is automatically a tone suck? It could be neutral or even beneficial depending on the make, style, location to the amp, cable paths, pickup type, and what is upstream feeding it and what it's feeding downstream. It could completely recover or dress your tone in ways not possible without.

            This whole true bypass religion is silly. It's all about using both for their advantages.
            I posted my response based on my personal experience in the matter. If you’re experience is different...great!!
            It would be much more beneficial to the discussion if you posted you’re experience instead of you’re attempt to berate mine.

            Have a great day Mr. Negative(ease)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

              Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              I posted my response based on my personal experience in the matter. If you’re experience is different...great!!
              It would be much more beneficial to the discussion if you posted you’re experience instead of you’re attempt to berate mine.

              Have a great day Mr. Negative(ease)
              Ha. I wasn't trying to berate you. It's nothing personal at all. you just posted something that I see on forums on here hundreds if not thousands of times that I feel perpetuates the True Bypass myth.

              True Bypass only became a religion when people starting lugging 20 pedals to gigs -which is a very recent phenomena (21st century lol)

              TS should pick a pedal that works in this scenario if he finds a tone problem but likes the advantages of tone shaping at that point in the chain -change to a different pedal, change out to better components or pay Analog Man to do it -lots of options.

              Sorry if I seemed surly.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?



                Thanks to all opines.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                  I’d say the downsides would be situational. If the loop overdrives the input to the EQ, if the EQ causes phasing or noise issues, etc. PPIMV can mess with loop levels, and since EQs are all about levels you might have a different response at different volume levels. I’d say if it sounds good, it is good.
                  Oh no.....


                  Oh Yeah!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                    Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post


                    Thanks to all opines.
                    Ha.. perfect. and guess what -when someone hands Eric Clapton a Squire Asian Strat and a Peavey Bandit people still know it's Eric Clapton and say his tone is just amazing.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?



                      Well one thing i noticed right off is i had to back off the sliders in the loop config as apposed to when i was running thru the front as it was much louder thru the loop.
                      It wasn't too hard to find the sweet spot.
                      I have the curve in an upside down smile [frown] boosting the mids.
                      I tried it several ways with & without and it does make quite a difference.
                      I haven't been able to test at gig volumes yet as i have neighbors but will when i can.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                        Personally, I prefer EQ before the preamp tubes... and EQ after the powertubes.

                        - Boost mids going into amp ("frown" curve)
                        - Sculpt overall tone going to the speaker
                        Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

                        Fastest ears in the West

                        "BS doesn't fly"

                        My Soundcloud

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                          Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Why does everyone assume a buffered bypass is automatically a tone suck? It could be neutral or even beneficial depending on the make, style, location to the amp, cable paths, pickup type, and what is upstream feeding it and what it's feeding downstream. It could completely recover or dress your tone in ways not possible without.

                          This whole true bypass religion is silly. It's all about using both for their advantages.
                          If you don't want your effect(s) to affect your tone you need TB.

                          For something like EQ I would want buffered bypass, as it's not just used for effect. With it tone would more probably maintain it's charcter with EQ on or off, than with TB.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                            Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            If you don't want your effect(s) to affect your tone you need TB.

                            For something like EQ I would want buffered bypass, as it's not just used for effect. With it tone would more probably maintain it's charcter with EQ on or off, than with TB.
                            Plus, I fine the buffer in Dunlop/MXR products to be well...not so good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

                              Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Plus, I fine the buffer in Dunlop/MXR products to be well...not so good.
                              Such as?
                              Oh no.....


                              Oh Yeah!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X