No announcement yet.

EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

The Human Ear isn't capable of deciphering "true bypass/non true bypass" IMO.
    And if you can thats a special freaking ear.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Such as?
      Namely the buffer in the switchless wah (95Q?). It wreaked havoc on my QR.
      Took me forever to figure out that it was the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        I disagree. I can clearly hear when a pedal is causing tone suck.

Comment

Sure you can. More often than not it’s the effects of buffered Bypass vs true Bypass, but it’s due to that difference.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have bypass & non bypass pedals and frankly i can tell no difference.
            I can tell if a pedal is in the wrong signal chain.

Comment

I have bypass & non bypass pedals and frankly i can tell no difference.
              I can tell if a pedal is in the wrong signal chain.
              If you have buffer first in chain or actives, the other decent buffer later in chain is not going to make a much difference. Very rarely they are perfect though, so more buffers you have, more you're going to get a loss.

There is no way you wouldn't notice the difference if you compare non-buffered vs. buffered chain.

Boss DD-7 and RC-3 had pretty poor buffers in my opinion. Both added some really annoing sheen over my tone. LS-2 is fine though, interestingly.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

You won't hear true bypass or non true bypass what you will hear is capacitance. Too many TB pedals linked together without an inline buffered pedal is a recipe for tone suck. Often heard in the form of loss of high-end and the dulling of your tone.
                I found this to be much more of an issue with pedals in front of the preamp and not much of an issue with pedals in an amp's loop.

I have one in the loop of my XXX and it is on all the time. I like using it because I can manipulate the midrange frequency to my liking and boost the lowend for when I'm playing at lower volumes. I can also fine tune the overall output of the amp with the level slider.

A drawback to using eq's are they can turn into a crutch, where you can't satisfyingly play an amp without one. Many players have already experience, knowing or unknowingly with the steadfast and constant use of boost pedals to get "their" sound.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                  If you have buffer first in chain or actives, the other decent buffer later in chain is not going to make a much difference. Very rarely they are perfect though, so more buffers you have, more you're going to get a loss.

There is no way you wouldn't notice the difference if you compare non-buffered vs. buffered chain.

Boss DD-7 and RC-3 had pretty poor buffers in my opinion. Both added some really annoing sheen over my tone. LS-2 is fine though, interestingly.
                  I agree on the Boss DD pedal, i had one that was terrible in the loop of a preamp/power amp. I sent it back.
                  The only Boss pedal i didn't like.

Comment

My experience: no downside. EQ (Boss DD-7 anyway) up front, depending on what frequencies you're boosting, raises noise levels (but admittedly I'm talking about modelling amps. i.e. EQ is therefore pre built-in distortion and pre pre-amp. gain).

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                      You won't hear true bypass or non true bypass what you will hear is capacitance. Too many TB pedals linked together without an inline buffered pedal is a recipe for tone suck. Often heard in the form of loss of high-end and the dulling of your tone.
                      I found this to be much more of an issue with pedals in front of the preamp and not much of an issue with pedals in an amp's loop.
                      You're contradicting yourself

Yes, it's capacitance you hear and it's caused by cables, not by true bypass switching. Thing is, it's always present without buffer. Once you add buffer you get brighter tone, because of the lack of normal tone suck caused by the cables.

So it's really whatever way you want to think of it. Buffer in your chain changes your tone, so does all the cable you add. But True Bypass itself doesn't...
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

See what I started...

Comment

Well one thing i noticed right off is i had to back off the sliders in the loop config as apposed to when i was running thru the front as it was much louder thru the loop.
                          Exactly, because when you slam the preamp it compresses it, whereas your power amp side has much more headroom in that regard. If anyone needs a lead boost in a band (esp with a second guitar) an EQ in the loop is a must IMO, volume boost and some EQ shaping to cut.

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          See what I started...
                          Yeah I was gunna say....
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                            Exactly, because when you slam the preamp it compresses it, whereas your power amp side has much more headroom in that regard. If anyone needs a lead boost in a band (esp with a second guitar) an EQ in the loop is a must IMO, volume boost and some EQ shaping to cut.

Yeah I was gunna say....

My Dual Rec has a Solo Boost function too, works very well.

Comment

I used to be in a band with a guy with a dual rec, ended up using an EQ in the loop instead of the solo boost function. Was able to shape much better instead of just increasing all the 'woof' as well. Made for a much better mix overall. YMMV
                              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

And (with a recto) you can also have the other channel set for the solo tone w/or without the loop engaged on one or both.
                                You can go orange for rhythm and red w/loop for solo,,,,,,,or vise versa for example.

That way it's simply one touch to make either a subtle change in volume, or make a drastic voicing/effects/volume change.
                                Last edited by dave74; 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X