No announcement yet.

EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    See what I started...
    Well. I was agreeing with him. Not arguing...
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      And (with a recto) you can also have the other channel set for the solo tone w/or without the loop engaged on one or both.
      You can go orange for rhythm and red w/loop for solo,,,,,,,or vise versa for example.

That way it's simply one touch to make either a subtle change in volume, or make a drastic voicing/effects/volume change.
      Actually i had my loop hardwired to "series" mode so i could use pedals. Its on all the time.
      Parallel didn't work well with pedals. IMO MESA should have made series/parallel loop switchable on the mid 2000's 3 channel Rectifiers.
      I don't know too many players that use rack rigs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        Well. I was agreeing with him. Not arguing...
        No, I meant that this true bypass/buffered debate is because of my first comment In this thread.
        I caused it. Lol

Comment

Update : so after more net surfing i found the phase 90 should be before the dirt pedals with the wah.
          Also when i run 2 amps stereo i couldn't use the EQ as my modded Marshall has no loop and i like to smack the front end with EQ & dirt/fuzz.
          So i moved the EQ post dirt pedals again and the gate in front of the TC Chorus.
          This actually sounds really good & gives me flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            You're contradicting yourself

Yes, it's capacitance you hear and it's caused by cables, not by true bypass switching. Thing is, it's always present without buffer. Once you add buffer you get brighter tone, because of the lack of normal tone suck caused by the cables.

So it's really whatever way you want to think of it. Buffer in your chain changes your tone, so does all the cable you add. But True Bypass itself doesn't...
            How so? The main reason you get tone loss from having a multitude of TB pedals is because you are essentially elongating your long cable line. The signals passing through straight them. If you're using a 20ft cable and then plugging into 5,6,7,8 TB pedals with no inline buffer pedal then you're going to hear high end roll off because your adding length to your input signal by having all those TB pedals.
            Last edited by Van Noord; 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              How so? The main reason you get tone loss from TB pedals is because you are essentially elongating your long cable line. The signals are passing through them. If you're using a 20ft cable and then plugging into 5,6,7,8 TB pedals with no inline buffer pedal then your going to hear high end roll off because your adding length to your input signal by having all those TB pedals.
              The "contradiction" was just a remark about this :

You won't hear true bypass or non true bypass what you will hear is capacitance. Too many TB pedals linked together without an inline buffered pedal is a recipe for tone suck.
              As of true bypass adding the cable lenght. Sure. Couple is not big deal though. And anyway all you need is one or two pedals with buffer in any case. Better to have TB pedals after the buffer though as it's simply less likely to cause problems.
              Last edited by Jacew; 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Namely the buffer in the switchless wah (95Q?). It wreaked havoc on my QR.
                Took me forever to figure out that it was the culprit.
                Oh yeah, I remember that. Unfortunate....
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Clippage ... OCD, Fuzz then OCD at very end, CE-2 Boss Chorus & verb, delay & wah on leads.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

See what I started...
                    Are you familiar with Godwin's Law? that as every discussion grows longer, the probability of the discussion devoling into a comparison with Nazis resulting increases?

I think True Bypass is the Guitar discussion equivilent
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Are you familiar with Godwin's Law? that as every discussion grows longer, the probability of the discussion devoling into a comparison with Nazis resulting increases?

I think True Bypass is the Guitar discussion equivilent
                      Haha!
                      I hadn’t heard about that law but it sounds pretty accurate!

Comment

How so? The main reason you get tone loss from having a multitude of TB pedals is because you are essentially elongating your long cable line. The signals passing through straight them. If you're using a 20ft cable and then plugging into 5,6,7,8 TB pedals with no inline buffer pedal then you're going to hear high end roll off because your adding length to your input signal by having all those TB pedals.
                        ^ This guy is 100% correct... no, 1000% correct.

Comment

Comment

Well following the True Bypass trend i can tell you im hearing alot more CE-2 Chorus in the loop so much so that i had to back off the internal trim pot by 1/2 a turn and the only reason could be that the MXR Phase 90 was not TB and was in front of the CE-2.
                            So i guess there really is a difference.
                            Phase 90 is now going into front of amp after wah before overdrives.

Comment

I don't see any downside of having the EQ in the loop. However, for me, I love to use the EQ to kick the pre-amp tubes. Especially with my Fender Excelsior, I can get the amp to scream with the EQ level cranked. WIth the Marshall JCM 2000 or Fender Quad, it is nirvana.

Comment

About the only downside I found was more noise. I also found that I needed to run the pedal with the master volume of the pedal a little on the negative side because the signal in the loop was a lot hotter than guitar level.

Comment

Working...
                                X