Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Re: EQ in the loop, is there a downside ?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Such as?
    Namely the buffer in the switchless wah (95Q?). It wreaked havoc on my QR.
    Took me forever to figure out that it was the culprit.

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

The Human Ear isn't capable of deciphering "true bypass/non true bypass" IMO.
    And if you can thats a special freaking ear.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Plus, I fine the buffer in Dunlop/MXR products to be well...not so good.
    Such as?

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    If you don't want your effect(s) to affect your tone you need TB.

For something like EQ I would want buffered bypass, as it's not just used for effect. With it tone would more probably maintain it's charcter with EQ on or off, than with TB.
    Plus, I fine the buffer in Dunlop/MXR products to be well...not so good.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Why does everyone assume a buffered bypass is automatically a tone suck? It could be neutral or even beneficial depending on the make, style, location to the amp, cable paths, pickup type, and what is upstream feeding it and what it's feeding downstream. It could completely recover or dress your tone in ways not possible without.

This whole true bypass religion is silly. It's all about using both for their advantages.
    If you don't want your effect(s) to affect your tone you need TB.

For something like EQ I would want buffered bypass, as it's not just used for effect. With it tone would more probably maintain it's charcter with EQ on or off, than with TB.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied

Personally, I prefer EQ before the preamp tubes... and EQ after the powertubes.

- Boost mids going into amp ("frown" curve)
    - Sculpt overall tone going to the speaker

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

Well one thing i noticed right off is i had to back off the sliders in the loop config as apposed to when i was running thru the front as it was much louder thru the loop.
    It wasn't too hard to find the sweet spot.
    I have the curve in an upside down smile [frown] boosting the mids.
    I tried it several ways with & without and it does make quite a difference.
    I haven't been able to test at gig volumes yet as i have neighbors but will when i can.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Thanks to all opines.
    Ha.. perfect. and guess what -when someone hands Eric Clapton a Squire Asian Strat and a Peavey Bandit people still know it's Eric Clapton and say his tone is just amazing.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

I’d say the downsides would be situational. If the loop overdrives the input to the EQ, if the EQ causes phasing or noise issues, etc. PPIMV can mess with loop levels, and since EQs are all about levels you might have a different response at different volume levels. I’d say if it sounds good, it is good.

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

Thanks to all opines.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

I posted my response based on my personal experience in the matter. If you’re experience is different...great!!
    It would be much more beneficial to the discussion if you posted you’re experience instead of you’re attempt to berate mine.

Have a great day Mr. Negative(ease)
    Ha. I wasn't trying to berate you. It's nothing personal at all. you just posted something that I see on forums on here hundreds if not thousands of times that I feel perpetuates the True Bypass myth.

True Bypass only became a religion when people starting lugging 20 pedals to gigs -which is a very recent phenomena (21st century lol)

TS should pick a pedal that works in this scenario if he finds a tone problem but likes the advantages of tone shaping at that point in the chain -change to a different pedal, change out to better components or pay Analog Man to do it -lots of options.

Sorry if I seemed surly.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Why does everyone assume a buffered bypass is automatically a tone suck? It could be neutral or even beneficial depending on the make, style, location to the amp, cable paths, pickup type, and what is upstream feeding it and what it's feeding downstream. It could completely recover or dress your tone in ways not possible without.

This whole true bypass religion is silly. It's all about using both for their advantages.
    I posted my response based on my personal experience in the matter. If you’re experience is different...great!!
    It would be much more beneficial to the discussion if you posted you’re experience instead of you’re attempt to berate mine.

Have a great day Mr. Negative(ease)

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

I think it depends on whether it is true bypass and if you decide to toggle it on and off.
    While it’s on you would see the benefits....off, the tone suck (if it’s not TB).

Leave a comment:

• Kamanda~SD
    replied

Yes it would, and honesty...no big deal if it's not TB.

EQ in the loop gives you more control IMO, it's also better for clean volume boosts vs the front.

EQ in the front for shaping more what your guitar is doing and what the amp will see, EQ in the loop for cleaner tone shaping and more like having switchable EQ on the amp if that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

True bypass would only matter when the EQ is off correct ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X