Harmonic Tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Tremolo

I was listening to That Pedal Show's podcast, and heard one with Joey Landreth. He had an old brownface Super, and spent a great deal of time demoing the amp's harmonic tremolo. To say it was one of the most glorious things I've ever heard would be an understatement.

Does anybody have a harmonic tremolo pedal they'd recommend?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Harmonic Tremolo

Never heard of this!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Never heard of this!
      It's more like phase, or a uni-vibe than what you normally think of as tremolo. I'm going to get this wrong, but rather than affecting amplitude, it splits the signal in half, modulating each half opposite of the other, or something to that effect. Let me find you a good example...

Go to 19:14 for the explanation, but the whole video is pretty sweet.

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

They did a full episode on it with various pedals, is this the one?

Flint is an obvious awesome choice, but there’s a Keeley, and Supro too. The massive Walrus sounds great.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

This one is Joey-centric, but they spend a good deal of time discussing his brownface Super and its harmonic tremolo.

Comment

The best Harmonic Tremelo on the market is the Strymon Flynt.

It's jawdropping amazing.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What's the meaning behind the name? What is the difference between that and normal tremolo?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It was only available on some older amps including a couple Brownface Fenders. It’s an expensive circuit requiring more than a bias or photocell Tremolo. As JB mentions, rather than a simple volume up/down it’s like the treble is dipped then the bass is dipped, giving a chewy, phasey tone almost like a Uni-Vibe in shallow depth.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Hmm... From PFDarksides description I wonder if EHX Worm trem setting does this?

It changes the frequency response along with the volume. Volume at low point signal gets quite dark and when going up it starts to get brighter along the way. The high point is well on the boost side of the signal and much mid-heavier and brighter. Change of frequency follows right behind the volume making wavy, livelier effect than just volume fluctuation.

It sure sounds great tremolo. I don't have enough with other examples though to compare.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    What's the meaning behind the name? What is the difference between that and normal tremolo?
                    It modulates bass and treble differently, so there’s a phase/vibe feel to it (though it doesn’t get as sea-sick as a Univibe can). I use the harmonic trem on my Strymon Flint as both a Leslie type swirl and a subtle thickener.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

JB, take a break from the confines of Hell and go to the closest Guitar store to Hell and try the Strymon Flynt and move the switch to "61 Harmonic Tremelo" and prepare to be amazed.

Also there is powerful amount of tweaking that can be done to the sound from dip switches inside. -plus it has Tap tempo

Report back once you are back in Hell.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Oh dayum that sounds cool, definitely getting uni-vibe ...uh...vibes.
                        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Oh! It is like a bias tremolo, I had heard of that. I didn't realize it had a different name. I use (a model of) that all the time on my Fractal. I don't have a vintage Fender to compare it to, but the model is amazing.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Oh! It is like a bias tremolo, I had heard of that. I didn't realize it had a different name. I use (a model of) that all the time on my Fractal. I don't have a vintage Fender to compare it to, but the model is amazing.
                            Bias tremolo is different. The signal is cut off and restored, causing the volume modulation.

I definitely need to check out the Flint.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              They did a full episode on it with various pedals, is this the one?

Flint is an obvious awesome choice, but there’s a Keeley, and Supro too. The massive Walrus sounds great.
                              The Flint was the first one I thought of. I really need to get one.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X