Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

Devin Townsend used to do a very subtle use of Chorus that I find tolerable, sometimes. Low mix, rate and depth, in a very "is this thing on?" way I kinda dig.

Anything from Terria is a great example of this, not to mention he used a SSS Strat for the heaviest of sounds. Other than that, Chorus should be disinvented and deleted from music history alongside Power Metal, Bon Jovi, wannabe Porcupine Tree and Pearl Jam bands, that clip of Orianthi playing blues, and tapping.
    Last edited by Diego; 12-14-2018, 08:55 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Not a huge fan of cleans in general..or "lush" chorus..

Adding a mean/menacing phasey metallic kinda edge to distortion is what I like using it for...

Not the slickest video/recording, but sort of like this.. (@ 0.45 onwards..)

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-14-2018, 10:29 PM.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The Cult, "Love" album. Gritty guitar sound with chorus all over that record. Still like it. "Rain" and "She Sells Sanctuary" come to mind. Apparently it is a Roland Jazz Chorus mixed alongside a Marshallish amp, although in really old live clips he seems to have just the JC.

Comment

Another great chorus pedal song (actually I think it is a combination of the chorus on the JC-120 and an Electric Mistress) that I was listening to just today:

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think it is time for some bass chorus now

Comment

And a little more

Comment

Idiot. Examples? Mike Stern uses chorus the whole time. And so did Maiden in 'Somewhere in Time', like the entire album in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                  The Cult, "Love" album. Gritty guitar sound with chorus all over that record. Still like it. "Rain" and "She Sells Sanctuary" come to mind. Apparently it is a Roland Jazz Chorus mixed alongside a Marshallish amp, although in really old live clips he seems to have just the JC.
                  Ok, this is a great example of successful Chorus.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                    Idiot. Examples? Mike Stern uses chorus the whole time. And so did Maiden in 'Somewhere in Time', like the entire album in general.
                    I'm an idiot for asking what YOUR preferred examples of Chorus are? ok.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      I'm an idiot for asking what YOUR preferred examples of Chorus are? ok.
                      He’s the resident grump

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Ok, this is a great example of successful Chorus.
                        I am not sure because there is a LOT of production going on and I haven't listened to it in years, but I think there is also a lot of chorus on the harder & heavier "Sonic Temple" album.

I am a big Billy Duffy fan. Unfortunately I am not an Ian Astbury fan. Such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          I am not sure because there is a LOT of production going on and I haven't listened to it in years, but I think there is also a lot of chorus on the harder & heavier "Sonic Temple" album.

I am a big Billy Duffy fan. Unfortunately I am not an Ian Astbury fan. Such is life.
                          I love all that early New Wave/Goth Cult and the eponymous Electric -which out American Hard Rocked American Style Hard Rock -but thought Sonic Temple was just average ....

Then Ian Asbury was asked about the 80s Cult fans and he said they would be replaced lol . -and I kind of ignored the band after that

Then 2 decades later at a festival I saw Ian crying on stage about how happy he was to be playing in front of thousands of people like the old days and how rough the last 2 decades had been.

Comment

As for metal, Zakk used chorus all over the place on Ozzmosis and there are some killer tracks on that album...
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                              Somewhere in Time has probably the worst guitar tones in otherwise good album I can think of.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I hereby declare CHORUS as valid and justified in the world of effects based on the evidence provided in this thread!!!

Swirl-on everyone!
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X