Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

I don't use a Chorus efffect, never have.... as I'm a grown ass man.

but I'm open minded, and I see this intense obsession on here for Chorus.

So please post videos of really excellent Chorus pedal tone use so I can slowly recover from my perhaps unreasonable religious hatred of Chorus.

And if you post Bass Chorus -like that **** tone the Journey bassist used to rock -it will tell me the demonic content of your character -as no one should be subjected to Bass Chorus.

So give them to me .... and I will suffer for the good of personal growth.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Re: Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as You Are, or The Police's Every Breath You Take and Walking on the Moon come immediately to mind.

I feel like there was some chorus on that 'Get Lucky' song that Daft Punk did with Niles Rogers too.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as You Are, or The Police's Every Breath You Take and Walking on the Moon come immediately to mind.

I feel like there was some chorus on that 'Get Lucky' song that Daft Punk did with Niles Rogers too.
      Dammit! those are pretty awesome examples of acceptable uses right out of the gate..... why cant my hatred of Chorus be dogmatic and inflexible?

Those are cleaner sounds, I guess I was more thinking about all these 80s Marshall Metal heads and 90s Mesa Metal Heads using Chorus as something I hate.

Got any examples of more heavy type chorus applications?
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Joe Bonamassa uses a TC Electronics chorus live at a very low setting. His explanation is that it tightens up the low end a bit. It's hardly noticeable. As far as heavy chorus, I always liked Paul Gilbert's tone with it, especially with Mr. Big. Just Take My Heart has a nice clean intro with chorus on it. The VH Balance album has chorus on it but it's from an Eventide harmonizer setting giving it that chorus like sound.

I don't like chorus to be overkill. Enough to give it some space to the sound. It's a like a spice, too much and you can ruin an otherwise good meal.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Joe Bonamassa uses a TC Electronics chorus live at a very low setting. His explanation is that it tightens up the low end a bit. It's hardly noticeable. As far as heavy chorus, I always liked Paul Gilbert's tone with it, especially with Mr. Big. Just Take My Heart has a nice clean intro with chorus on it. The VH Balance album has chorus on it but it's from an Eventide harmonizer setting giving it that chorus like sound.

I don't like chorus to be overkill. Enough to give it some space to the sound. It's a like a spice, too much and you can ruin an otherwise good meal.
          I'll revisit some Paul Gilbert -he's awesome

Can't do Joe Bonamassa until his ego stops staring into the camera with those facial expressions in all his social media posts -the horror.....but I like his comment -interesting

I have a feeling I probably like chorus when it's barely there or it's used as complete over the top textural thing like Nirvana example. Similar to the way Dean Ween uses Phase like it's more important to the sound than the actual guitar -it's silly but so over the top it's good again.

Comment

Double post -just like a damn Chorus pedal
            Last edited by NegativeEase; 12-13-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Eric Clapton used to use a Chorus effect live on "Old Love" and it sounded incredible.

And yeah, pretty much for every famous Police song you've ever heard, Andy Summers used a Chorus effect to some extent.

Believe it or not, SRV used to punch some Chorus in here and there to thicken up his tone as well.

Comment

I do something a little unique, there are a few songs we play where I try to emulate a keyboard type sound. I’ll use a compressor, volume pedal and chorus set with fast rate and mid depth, rolling into wider chord shapes.... trying to sound like a Hammond through a Leslie. I also will do a low speed and low depth to add some movement to clean tones. Trying to not have that 80’s sheen, just a subtle thickening.

I thought Andy Summers was an Electric Mistress?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  I'll revisit some Paul Gilbert -he's awesome

Can't do Joe Bonamassa until his ego stops staring into the camera with those facial expressions in all his social media posts -the horror.....but I like his comment -interesting

I have a feeling I probably like chorus when it's barely there or it's used as complete over the top textural thing like Nirvana example. Similar to the way Dean Ween uses Phase like it's more important to the sound than the actual guitar -it's silly but so over the top it's good again.
                  Watch Joe's Rig Rundown on YouTube. Very cool guy. All that stuff on the stage is for show. He's a guitar geek, self-admitted, and from what I can tell, not much of an ego off the stage.

Check out Paul's album Fuzz Universe. If not for some chorus here and there but for the playing. That album is great.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 12-14-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

You guys sound like the jazzers Spinal Tap used to rag on. What are you afraid of?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Dammit! those are pretty awesome examples of acceptable uses right out of the gate..... why cant my hatred of Chorus be dogmatic and inflexible?

Those are cleaner sounds, I guess I was more thinking about all these 80s Marshall Metal heads and 90s Mesa Metal Heads using Chorus as something I hate.

Got any examples of more heavy type chorus applications?
                      Boston's more than a feeling?

I dunno, I don't like chorus with distortion.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Why use chorus when you can use Eventide?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          I do something a little unique, there are a few songs we play where I try to emulate a keyboard type sound. I’ll use a compressor, volume pedal and chorus set with fast rate and mid depth, rolling into wider chord shapes.... trying to sound like a Hammond through a Leslie. I also will do a low speed and low depth to add some movement to clean tones. Trying to not have that 80’s sheen, just a subtle thickening.

I thought Andy Summers was an Electric Mistress?
                          I always thought Andy Summers was a flange sound as well. I’m sure there are songs with the chorus too but I think primarily that was a flange.

Comment

Give me examples of what you consider good tonal use of Chorus pedals

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Watch Joe's Rig Rundown on YouTube. Very cool guy. All that stuff on the stage is for sure. He's a guitar geek, self-admitted, and from what I can tell, not much of an ego off the stage.

Check out Paul's album Fuzz Universe. If not for some chorus here and there but for the playing. That album is great.
                            Ive seen quite a few YT vids with Joe talking guitar. I think he seems like a pretty cool, down to earth guy.
                            I know he takes a lot of flak in guitar forums but I think he’s a hell of a guitar player.
                            Now...that said I’m not particularly a fan of a lot of his solo work....it’s a little too “pop slick” for me.
                            But yeah, great player nonetheless.
                            Last edited by Gtrjunior; 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              Why use chorus when you can use Eventide?
                              Because Dimension D that's why.

Comment

Working...
                              X