Pedal noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal noob question

So, as stated in a previous post, havent owned a pedal since DOD were the cheap go to thing, until today, picked up a Morley Classic Wah pedal today. Have gotten back into playing more and thought, well time to get something fun to play with through my Jubilee.

Might be one of the biggest dumbass questions asked but should I run it into the front of the Marshall or through the effects loop?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Pedal noob question

What kind of music. What kind of sounds do you like? What artists do you want to play in the vein of?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Wah in front.

Comment

Wah traditionally goes in front but try it both was and see which way works best for you.

Comment

Ok, mainly listen to 70s to present hard rock and that can be from KISS to Godsmack and Slipknot. Not really trying for anyone's sound in particular. What Im hearing in my mind is using the wah more as a filter that working the pedal, getting that nasally, raw snarl. Now that doesnt mean I wont play with the pedal and use it as its traditionally used.
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Well, if you get dirt from your amp, it’s like putting it after an OD pedal, so this should help:

In my case wah is first in the chain.

Comment

Guitar into Wah into OD/Distortion then to front of amp gives me the most pleasing sound. Modulation pedals go through the FX Loop. Don't have a Compression pedal yet, but when I get one, it will be either before or after the Wah. I'll test it out when I get it.

Comment

Thought it went in front, but for some reason, I started questioning my sanity.

Like I said, this is my first trip down the pedal road in many moons. Next on the list will be a delay pedal, but for now, Ill play with the wah and see where I go from there.
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Wah in front, delay in the loop.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Usually it is the 1st or 2nd pedal out front, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys, any tips or secrets to using the pedal I should know?
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Usually it is the 1st or 2nd pedal out front, too.
                        Mine is the last pedal in my chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                          Is it one of those Morley that has the on toggle on the side? Does the pedal return to the up position by the spring? Are there any other controls? I think all Morleys are optical wahs so there is no pot involved like in other pedals. So using it like a cocked wah might be difficult since the pedal returns to the up position. Maybe someone else can tell if there is secret screw with you can fine tune the pedal or some other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                            Not really, just play it (a lot) to get your own feel.

If you’re after those 70s classic tones, keep in mind that - though we have endless switching, looping and everything else options these days, back then it was more often than not a case of sticking it all in a single line into the front of the amp.

So, as you experiment, take that as your starting point and then experiment to find what feels/sounds good and inspires your playing.

Don’t overthink, just play and LEARN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                              Is it one of those Morley that has the on toggle on the side? Does the pedal return to the up position by the spring? Are there any other controls? I think all Morleys are optical wahs so there is no pot involved like in other pedals. So using it like a cocked wah might be difficult since the pedal returns to the up position. Maybe someone else can tell if there is secret screw with you can fine tune the pedal or some other way.
                              No there is only the on/off button and the pedal itself. There isnt a spring in it so it does stay in position when I,take my foot off of it, so I do get that cocked wah sound.

Guess this just means Ihave to spend more time playing, darn, such,a terrible prediciment Im in.
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                              X