• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swampy
    replied
    Re: Forgot about that RAT magic

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
    I use this one:

Just got one of these in the mail today. Bought it from a guy on a Facebook pedal page. Dirt cheap and I’m getting great sounds out of it.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
    I still use my TC Nova drive, which is a rat clone and tube screamer together in one pedal. They can be stacked either way or run parallel and midi controlled for 18 different settings. I love the rat side of it for a lot of rock songs. I have tons of other drive pedals but this one is so versatile I’ll probably always keep one.
    I've never heard that the distortion side of the Nova Drive was actually based on a Rat. If you don't mind my asking, how were you able to determine that?

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

OK - never looked at that too hard, but damn that thing looks awesome!

- TS9, with blend control!
    - Rat, with bass and treble!
    - Stackable
    - Programmable

wow....

Leave a comment:

• allstarrme
    replied

I still use my TC Nova drive, which is a rat clone and tube screamer together in one pedal. They can be stacked either way or run parallel and midi controlled for 18 different settings. I love the rat side of it for a lot of rock songs. I have tons of other drive pedals but this one is so versatile I’ll probably always keep one.

Leave a comment:

• Van Noord
    replied

I use this one:

Leave a comment:

• Mark Cearlock
    replied

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
    I recently did a shootout among all my dirt boxes. The BB Preamp is still my #1 but the Rat came in second and remains on the board. I love the harmonic content it adds. I liken it to bubbling lava, it rolls and changes all on its own, even if there’s no loud amp to feed back.

I think the ProCo is one of the GREAT industrial designs, it’s business-like and indestructible. My DIY clone on the other hand, is decidedly un-industrial.

Wampler designed Paisley-rat? Thats pretty cool btw

Leave a comment:

• Swampy
    replied

I’ll break mine out every once in while. I want to love it, and sometimes I do. But for some reason, sometimes I don’t. Yeah, confuses me too.

I do like the fuzz that it can give.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D68F577-4FBD-4261-8306-73CCB58E928A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	5810888

Leave a comment:

• Kamanda~SD
    replied

Had a RAT Deucetone for awhile...just couldn't get on with it tbh and ended up selling it. It was just a little too fuzzy pour moi. Lot's of great tones have come from it though!

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    Never had a RAT, but I think I should get one. Suggestions on which one to get? I run mostly Marshalls, a 1998 DSL100 1/2 stack, a 3203 Artist with a 4x10, a Laney AOR, a Randall RM100LB...
    The currently available Rat 2 pedal is great. It may not be the "cork sniffer" rat - but it does what Rats do.

The Harmon LM308 is a newer close to perfect recreation, as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

I had a small box RAT with the LM308. It was a great pedal for what it did. Ended up selling it because it didn’t play well with my amp at the time. Wish I still had it now. Most of my dirt comes from my amp, but I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive when I need a little more oomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DonP
    replied

Never had a RAT, but I think I should get one. Suggestions on which one to get? I run mostly Marshalls, a 1998 DSL100 1/2 stack, a 3203 Artist with a 4x10, a Laney AOR, a Randall RM100LB...

Leave a comment:

• allbutromeo
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    ha. I asked why... I don't have a problem with it Im curious how even to this day they have stuck to probably a style and theme that is the worst industrial design in the history of Guitar pedals.

I give them credit if anything.....
    For the same reason EHX still makes the full size Big Muff, or that Tube Screamers are still green and Phase 90s are orange. It's become their signature.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    It’s a fantastic pedal. In recent years...

Used an original 1980 Rat in to the front of a Marshall. It indeed had that sound!
    Used a Mooer Black Secret. Mixed reviews...all in all a solid pedal. Decent enough Rat substitute, especially at the price.The 18v mode is evil awesome. Wasn’t a fan of the bottom end.

I actually ended up owning-preferring my Proco Solo to any of them. Does everything a Rat does and more!
    That's cool. the RAT has that interaction with pickups and touch in the harmonic areas that is just different.

I was running both RATS into a JCM 800 last night . -pretty brilliant...

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
    I had a big black square one with one footswitch on it late '80's. I think it just said "RAT" on the box. Cannot even remember if it had a LED or not. Seem to remember it was heavy. Use to have pics. but they're long gone. Went into a JCM800. Don't really remember what is sounded like now after all these years.
    For a tonally obsessed Dio fan, I’m truly surprised, if not slightly doubtful...

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

It’s a fantastic pedal. In recent years...

Used an original 1980 Rat in to the front of a Marshall. It indeed had that sound!
    Used a Mooer Black Secret. Mixed reviews...all in all a solid pedal. Decent enough Rat substitute, especially at the price.The 18v mode is evil awesome. Wasn’t a fan of the bottom end.

I actually ended up owning-preferring my Proco Solo to any of them. Does everything a Rat does and more!
    Last edited by Aceman; 12-15-2018, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X