OCD vs 808 Overdrive for Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCD vs 808 Overdrive for Metal?

I've got a few tube screamer variants, a Klon, and a few other overdrives, but one pedal that I haven't tried in a very long time is the OCD. I remember it being a hairy, aggressive pedal, but I was looking for a smoother sound at the time. Now I'm wondering if it would be a good overdrive for metal. I'm thinking it might be good going through a Friedman BE-100. A guy I know uses one through a Mesa Roadster, but his is version 1, so I don't know if that's a far cry from version 2 which they sell now. I've listened to a few videos and it seems like version 2 kind of did full-circle back to what version 1 sounded like but a bit louder, gainier, and more aggressive mids like 1.2 or 1.3. Not sure though since I'm only hearing the audio. What do you think about the OCD as a boost for metal tone and also as a general overdrive pedal?

Re: OCD vs 808 Overdrive for Metal?

The OCD (regardless of version) is one of those pedals that should be in every guitarist’s arsenal. It’s great at high gain, and in amp breakup-type scenarios. I think that, or a Rat are core to most metal tones that aren’t coming from the amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I used one for a metal boost with awesome results. Smooth midrange and doesn't suck out so much lowend like TS pedals do. It feels great too, retains that warm tube feel, whereas the TS don't IMO.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The low end is something I was thinking about because the BE-100 doesn't have a huge low end, and with a tube screamer, it loses a little thump. I was thinking versions 1, 1.6, and 2 were the most appealing and have heavier low ends than some of the other revisions. My Klon is pretty good about the low end, but it doesn't add or take away anything.

Comment

It depends on the amp, but for the vast majority of amps out there, TS7/TS9/TS808/OD808/OD9/something else in that family (they're all the same thing as far as what's going to affect your tone in a "boost a distorted amp" context, so don't let the hype fool you, buy whichever is cheapest). The OCD is too linear of a boost for metal on most amps, and will leave you sounding muddy and flubby. You need that low-end cut.

Comment

The precision drive is great too.
            Guitars:
            Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
            PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
            ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
            Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
            Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
            Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
            Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
            Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
            Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

You own a Klon, several Tube Screamers, and other overdrives and you think an OCD might be needed to get a great Metal tone?

I suggest you have enough in your arsenal to find a permutation that will blow your mind with enough experimenting.

Personally, I'd drive a TS with it's ballsy mids hard (ducking the highs sligtly) into the KLON recovering the low mids and rich harmonic content for a brilliant rich attack
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

This is an old video of when I used to boost my Recto with my OCD.

Last edited by Van Noord; 12-29-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

With my Soldano as well.

Comment

Personally, for a Marshall-style of amp, I would use an SD-1 or a Wylde Overdrive if you don't want to eat up too much low-end before an OCD. The OCD is cool, but I like the SD-1-type of pedals better as boosts because they have the clean signal mixed with the overdriven signal, so they tighten up better while maintaining a nice clarity to the attack. JMO. Then again, those clips above sound great, so what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X